Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

4cyl cv boots

Changed my nearside outer CV boot yesterday (again, after a few weeks) as something had put a couple of small slits in the widest part and grease had sprayed out everywhere :roll:

Thought I'd pop into GSF and get a new boot kit so wrote down what I reckoned was the correct VW part no. from ETKA, seems to be a couple listed, roughly pre and post 1990.

When I compared the new boot to the one I'd just removed they were basically the same, but the GKN one from GSF has an extra raised band of rubber at the widest part on the outside of the boot, all dimensions and lip shape over the CV joint are the same. Chap from GSF said he'd never have found the part without the VW number as they hadn't got it listed for the Corrado.

It fitted up fine but the kit contains a part I just have no idea about:

cv-bits.jpg[/attachment:2rb915fi]

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm convinced the boots are basically the same over most of the Golf 2's and probably other 4 cyl VW's, but some of the small parts in the kits may be why there are different VW part numbers.

Strange thing is I've used generic pattern VW boot kits before and they've always fitted up fine, just don't remember this odd circlip thing, which I don't seem to need anyway :scratch:

Hi mate, 321 498 203A contains a part (321 407 297) that doesn't fit the Corrado, it's for a MK1 but it doesn't look quite like that...

Knowing GSF that kit will be for a Renault Espace and just happens to fit the C :lol:

Burger the GSF kit, its off to VAG for me, at least they give you all the bits you need in the box.

VAG ones last ages if they are fitted correctly too.

As for that bit, dunno, its not big enough to go around the outer part of the boot and its not small enough to go around the inner part of the boot. It could be a car that uses a bigger diameter driveshaft (G60 for instance) but that's my only guess.

Hi mate, 321 498 203A contains a part (321 407 297) that doesn't fit the Corrado, it's for a MK1 but it doesn't look quite like that...

Knowing GSF that kit will be for a Renault Espace and just happens to fit the C :lol:

321 498 203A that's the one, the kit is a GKN one from GSF and actually I'm pretty impressed with the quality, I really needed to do the job on Saturday pm anyway. Some serious jumping on the breaker bar to get the hub nut undone - nobody else to blame though, I did it up last time :lol:

The GKN boot itself has a protective lip (bit like a tyre rim protection bead) which seems to be designed to help protect against stones etc getting in between the boot and wishbone and causing the sort of damage I've just suffered from :roll:

Now I know why mk3's, passats etc have the plastic guard on the front of the wishbone :lol:

it looks like that extra ring is a locking ring for the CV joint for some early mk1's like you suggest, speaking to my dad over the weekend he says this type of ring is used on a variety vehicles, can be a PITA to fit and he said the same thing about generic boots, could well be used on something other than VAG.

anyway, job done for the MOT again, and I've also got a front VT engine mount on now - much liking the gearchange :D

Yeah, I only received the thrust washer, cap and circlip - never seen that yellow thing before!

Be careful with the breaker bar, I snapped a 1/2" extension on mine clean in two when doing the CV!

Also don't listen to the haters about factor parts - until one of them shows me some science and maths with stress plots (preferably von mises, and additional x y and z plane plots :dorky: ) PROVING that a factor part broke where a VW part wouldn't have done then I cast it all aside :p

Yeah, I only received the thrust washer, cap and circlip - never seen that yellow thing before!

Be careful with the breaker bar, I snapped a 1/2" extension on mine clean in two when doing the CV!

Also don't listen to the haters about factor parts - until one of them shows me some science and maths with stress plots (preferably von mises, and additional x y and z plane plots :dorky: ) PROVING that a factor part broke where a VW part wouldn't have done then I cast it all aside :p

:lol:

TBH I've not really had many issues with pattern parts myself, the only dodgy one being an el-cheapo mk1 headlight that gave next to no beam pattern compared to a Hella one, but then it was about 12 quid brand new :lol: invested in the 25 quid Hella one eventually.

Although having said that the GSF rear 16v mount is one to avoid, it would probably last forever though, it wasn't rubber, more like steel reinforced concrete :lol: the engine bracket would have snapped first I reckon... that one went back :)

With the breaker bar, I've got a short socket that fits straight to the bar and just clears the wheel nicely, wouldn't want to add an extension in there like you say.

I tell a lie - I have a VW kit on my desk in front of me and that parts the same...

Yeah GKN CV joints are ok but I would always stick with genuine for the boots - especially on the VR6 / 8 V as you get the new plastic MKV type now.