Sign in to follow this  
barryarginnraddo

16v - vr6 (g60) brake conversion is it worth it?

I think he means 16v 256mm to VR/G60 280mm, and yes plenty of people have done it, including me. Definitely worth it. Can be a very cheap brake upgrade. Seen VR/G60 calipers and carriers go for £30-50 then just discs (G60 ones as they are 4 stud) and pads. Job done 8)

I had it done in my valver. you need:

calipers

carriers

discs

pads

needles to say everything came out from a g60 ;)

***calipers, are both girling ¿54? in g.60 and 16v, same number (54), but they are substantially different.

and yes, it is worth it :wink:

great guys thanks very much!

I need some of these in my life asap! does any one know any good places to start? for the carriers and calipers????

also although changing the subject some what does any one reccomend any particular pad? i was thinking some green stuff? :clap:

oh and are the calipers the same on the vr6 and g60 for sure? and if so will the vr6 calipers / carriers fit my car as i reckon my chance of finding g60 ones must be slimmer these days?

Also is there any other cars that use these config? like a seat ibiza//mk3 gti or something? thanks again for the input my brakes suck with my new engine.

mk3 golf GTI/16v/VR6 all use the same 280mm calipers and carriers -

as long as it's the first year or two of production as the later mk3's use a completely different ATE 288mm caliper and disk for which you can't get a 4 stud disk for for the 4 cylinder Corrados.

great guys thanks very much!

I need some of these in my life asap! does any one know any good places to start? for the carriers and calipers????

also although changing the subject some what does any one reccomend any particular pad? i was thinking some green stuff? :clap:

I was charged ~70& in a scrappy for new discs+new pads, carriers and calippers

get discs & pads from vagparts and the calippers&carriers from a scrap yard / any1 braking their rado

Hi mate,

I am using the 280mm setup, I used VR6 callipers and carriers and G60 discs and pads. Mine were off a K reg car, I replaced all the rubber seals (although they looked fine). Worth chucking on some braided hoses all round as well.