Sign in to follow this  
sean1380

neg camber?????????how much is too much?

iv done a search and it cam up with this......

it is supposed to be between -1 and -0.2 I have the camber set at - 0.5 degrees, as it is a road car, i guess if your are going to be using it as a track car, u might want some more negitive camber. Too much negitive camber on the road will give quicker tyre ware, and ...by andycowuk

May 12th, 2004, 4:47 pm

Forum: Exterior

Topic: front camber settings on g60 with coilovers

Replies: 5

Views: 193

well iv got springs n shocks..40mm drop

im getting tracking and camber down 2mo but wanting to know whats a good road set up for handling,looks and not too much tyre wear

iv got 1.5 degrees on my mini n looks good but will this work on the rado??

1.5 is probably a little too much for a 4cyl Corrado

I've got mine at just under 1 degree and get no uneven wear and it corners very well

That's with 15" 195 tyres, springs that are about 30mm lower than standard, wishbones are about level.

I got 2 pairs of shims on boths sides.. :lol: :lol: :lol: 3 degree

haha yeah the front,would the not handle strangly?even tho it must look ace!love the camber just wish i could afford the tyres!!!

so about half a degree then??

I did have my fronts fully cambered to but now they dont look the same. :shrug: probably didnt set them right after I fitted my coils

haha ah well hopefully once iv got a job again n got some money sorted ill get some coilovers for her n get her sorted properly

so what u think then kempy,half a degree sound good??

:scratch:

I'll be honest, 1 degree is good. But mr woort or boost monkey will be more informative, I wouldnt even know how to mesaure it, something to do with the bolts on the bottom of the shock is as much as I know. :lol:

I just have the fronts either none or full, helps to get my stupid fat tyres and wheels fit under the arches. Couldnt do maths :gag:

yeah i was trying to play with those bolts today,u can buy a camber gauge thats magnetic that u put on yur brake disc n tells u how much theres is,25quid i think...from frost they do some good stuff

ok well ill try a degree but i dont have any stupid wheels tho just the standard 15's but will be gettin some in the future! :clap:

Get someone with a laser alignment setup to do it, just tell them how much camber you want when you turn up...

for 4wheel alingment??

i really cant afford it im just wantin it to get it half right for now,the guys at westgate tyres are ok n should sort me out well enough for now...once i get some money earnt again im gonna go to town on the little madam...iv allready got my shopping lust in my head haha

for 4wheel alingment??

i really cant afford it im just wantin it to get it half right for now,the guys at westgate tyres are ok n should sort me out well enough for now...once i get some money earnt again im gonna go to town on the little madam...iv allready got my shopping lust in my head haha

As i said mate you need a 4 wheel alignment once the suspension is fitted. It'll cost around £100 but that's the price of a tyre (ok just over). So worth spending the cash getting it set up if you're driving it anyway,

is that the only way to do it?

as i dont av 20quid never mind 100

iv allready been gettin grief off everyone for buying parts for my c when my overdrafts ament to be for my bills but i thought bollocks to it haha

ah well ill av to see what happens

is that the only way to do it?

as i dont av 20quid never mind 100

iv allready been gettin grief off everyone for buying parts for my c when my overdrafts ament to be for my bills but i thought bollocks to it haha

ah well ill av to see what happens

Afraid so mate.

You can still drive the car, but expect tyre were.

ah well it seems ok for now ill just see how it goes untill i can afford a proper set up

i got -1degree put on front today,looks well and loves the round abouts more than did before!! think that might be something to do with the new shock/springs u gave me n for now its a gud un :cheers:

ah well it seems ok for now ill just see how it goes untill i can afford a proper set up

i got -1degree put on front today,looks well and loves the round abouts more than did before!! think that might be something to do with the new shock/springs u gave me n for now its a gud un :cheers:

Glad you're happy with them mate :D

I think I've got a reasonable way to check the camber for free :)

Perhaps BoostMonkey will check my maths :salute: My 'A' level maths was an :epicfail:

I measured my wheel rim diameter lip to lip

I know the camber should be about 0.5 to 1 deg

So If you make a right angled triangle from the diameter of the wheel and using the 1 degree, say, you can work out the deflection from vertical in mm that you need to make that 1 degree. SOHCAHTOA :geek: - at least something stuck in my head from GCSE maths :lol:

Once you've worked that out then a couple of bolts one longer than the other, for the top rim edge (by the deflection in mm you calculated) held/stuck to the edge of a 2 ft builders spirit level and the distance apart to rest on the edge of the wheel rim and you should have a perfectly vertical spirit level.

It makes it very easy to quickly check if the camber has altered too, just find some level ground and offer up the level and bolts :)

If you do adjust the bottom suspension bolts/camber make sure to bounce the car well to settle the suspension properly after jacking up as un-settled suspension will put any reading way off.

I worked out 5mm is about 0.7 of a degree and 7mm about 1 degree

top bolt 7mm longer than bottom one

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfcamber-1.jpg[/attachment:1cmem1jn]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfcamber-2.jpg[/attachment:1cmem1jn]

s-level-1.jpg[/attachment:1cmem1jn]

haha yeah SOHCAHTOA i havent heard or used that in years!!!

if they'd have told me that it could help u work out negitive camber on a car in school i might av paid more attention!!

rather than a ladder lent against a wall...a cars far more interesting!

ill remember that then..i'd never have thought of it like that

10points to you for inginuity!

I've got just over 1.5 degrees on the front of my Rado but did it mostly to match the rear (no shims, just lowness camber lol). It does handle well though but tbh, i couldn't tell the difference as far as handling is concerned after i had it done.

Maths is right DW, go to the head of the class!

If you've got a 15" rim, you'll get 1.06 degrees at 7mm offset. If you've got a 16" rim, you'll get 0.99 degrees with the same upper offset of 7mm.

I'm taking 1" = 25.2 mm.... Think it might be 25.4 but that's what I used!

This is exactly how some of the CamberSmart readers work: you zero them on a flat surface, then measure but they're just a set square with two nails on and a calculator in the middle really!

Good to see some maths being applied :grin: :dorky: