Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Octavia VRS

Ok, Im still looking at replacements for the Golf and didnt realise the Octavia is a hatchback so Im considering them now.

Anybody run one before that could point out possible issue? I know the engine so Im not fussed with that, its more Octavia or VRs specific issues.

I've got an 08 plate Octy vRS TDi - great car - bit lardy so handlings not so good but has buckets of torque. 8) Lots of kit for the money.

I'm guessing you'd be going for a petrol - and you dont need to be told about the tuning oppourtunities there.

To be fair there is a wealth of information on the briskoda forum, I'd have a nose around on there.

HTH

Yeah its the Mk1 1.8T. Seem very cheap at the moment. Found one with 40kmiles for just over £4k although saying that there seems to be a wide range of asking prices for them.

Was looking at Mk5 Golf tdi's or maybe 3series estate but I drove home tonight and there just ten a penny. Cannot remember the last time I saw a VRs TBH. Thats what im after and its a good two fingers up at the badge snobs as well.

Just hope I can get a towbar for them.

Have a word with CazzaVR, he runs one :)

You called? :salute: :lol:

I've got a MK1 estate and absolutely love it. The only specific prob I can think of is with the hatchback is if it's been raining and you open the boot quickly, water kinda pours into the boot :lol: Thats it!

Get one- you can't really buy a better car for the money IMHO. Look out for the options such as xenons, cruise, heated seats, sunroof etc. Colour code the chrome grille asap though ;)

And yeh, it's great sticking two fingers up to the ridiculously ignorant badge snobs (especially when they drive French stuff!) :lol:

Oh yeh- pretty sure you can get a towbar, and as Chris says, Briskoda is a superb website! 8)

try a BMW 330I estate Graham, 245bhp and 230lb standard, i was very impressed when i took one out for a spin last weekend.

i'm looking at a 03plate one this weekend thats gonna be selling for about 4.5k.

Yeah its the Mk1 1.8T. Seem very cheap at the moment. Found one with 40kmiles for just over £4k although saying that there seems to be a wide range of asking prices for them.

Was looking at Mk5 Golf tdi's or maybe 3series estate but I drove home tonight and there just ten a penny. Cannot remember the last time I saw a VRs TBH. Thats what im after and its a good two fingers up at the badge snobs as well.

Just hope I can get a towbar for them.

All I'd say is that the 1.8T engine is the same as the one used in the era-Passat and Toledo... my wife has the latter and while not really a problem for what we use it for it's not the most economical 1.8 I've ever driven and consistently begs for revs - potentially the easiest car to stall I have ever come across! :?

Other than that, they're a winner for the money - Dad's recently picked up a 110bhp 02-plate TDi to run him about and he's loved it so far... and to add to CazzaVR's comment, this one came with a towbar :)

Thanks for the reply. I know what there like, Ive had an S3 and Leon Cupra R. I just wanted something that was going to be a bit more exciting then the Golf.

Fuel costs for the year are about £450 bewteen the two. Thats less than a tenner a week, so Im not bothered.

All I'd say is that the 1.8T engine is the same as the one used in the era-Passat and Toledo... my wife has the latter and while not really a problem for what we use it for it's not the most economical 1.8 I've ever driven and consistently begs for revs - potentially the easiest car to stall I have ever come across! :?

Jon, isn't yours the N/A 20v? The 20v really needs the turbo! There are lots of variations in the 1.8 20v engines- the Octy vRS has the AUQ. The only other car to have this exact engine AFAIK is the MK4 GTI (180 BHP). It's got really good low down/mid-range torque. On my way to work (20 mins) I usually get around 32-34 mpg. On longer journeys it's up around 36-39 mpg. Even when you drive it hard, it still manages mid to late 20s.

Re: stalling - learn to drive, you muppet! :lol: ;)

Well I had a shot of the VRS last night. Nice car, interior mst be a bitch to keep clean. Boot is good but I didnt find it all that fast. Didnt make my mind up.

Going to look at an older 1.8T Passat estate tonight that has had a few tweeks. Always liked these cars and to be honest its really an estate that would suit better. Should be able to sell the Golf, buy the Passat and get the obligitary new set of wheels :lol: plus it already has a towbar.

plus it already has a towbar.

next you'll be telling us you're off on a caravan holiday :lol:

Going to look at an older 1.8T Passat estate tonight that has had a few tweeks. .

Mr Manson's by any chance? :wink:

I'd have got the Octavia. Get a black one, stick a tall boot mounted aerial on it and everyone will think you're the fuzz and move over :)

Going to look at an older 1.8T Passat estate tonight that has had a few tweeks. .

Mr Manson's by any chance? :wink:

I'd have got the Octavia. Get a black one, stick a tall boot mounted aerial on it and everyone will think you're the fuzz and move over :)

Yep, at least I know its been looked after. Will maybe give him some more room to get that Rallye finished.

Jon, isn't yours the N/A 20v? ...Re: stalling - learn to drive, you muppet! :lol: ;)

If it stands for 'Not Applicable' 20v, then yeah :lol:

As for Muppets driving... check this and then think of a certain oft spotted avatar on this forum...

Muppet-Movie-bv03.jpg

:grin:

Hya,

Ref the Octavia VRS I bought one new in 2003 to allow my beloved Corrado some rest bite. I thought for a 1.8T it was quite quick, me and the missus even semi raced back to Swindon from Cricklade in them. Quite similar in speed to begin with but the VR had just that little more pull as the revs peeked. The Octavia is now chipped and I think the Corrado would struggle. Maybe thats why I then went and bought a 4x4 corrado turbo in the same colour as my old one. I am now one happy chappie a play toy, a quick family(ish) car in the Octavia and standard VR6 (2owners from new and I have owned for 11yrs now.

Rgds Oz

pics of the corrado 4x4 turbo are required mate.

is it the one that was advertised on pistonheads for ages??

I got my new steed tonight. 1.8t Passat B5 estate with Konis and revo remap, confirmed 188bhp, 231 lb/ft on 95ron. Really good condition as well. Bargin price, all it needs is a nice set of wheels to set it off. Going to do the brakes and get the oil pump/pick up done for piece of mind.

No photos yet as it needs a wash and polish but Ive got these for some inspiration.

I was just about to say, 'make sure you get the VRs Revo'ed'. They go much better and it also improves the economy, which I still don't believe but I've known 2 now that show better economy post Revo :?

Like the Passat! Good choice. Saw a W8 4motion this afternoon and I want one!

i was looking at getting a passat w8 estate a while back Dave, look at the cost of parts though first mate, for example the front brake discs were something like £525 :shock: an alternator was £700ish.

i'm looking at another octavia this afternoon.

pics of the corrado 4x4 turbo are required mate.

is it the one that was advertised on pistonheads for ages??

Yes it is. I sort of fell for it as it was in backberry, if it had been any other colour then I probably would have just gone nice car. Anyhow its now on my drive with the other one, its great seeing people do a double take as they walk up the street. Its also fun as you don't see that colour round Swindon so i can play if someone beats my old car, then i go and get the beast and go hunting!!!!!!!.... few niggles with the new one but they are standard corrado gripes ie the bonnet release and passenger door handle went within 3 weeks of getting it and I also stripped 3rd gear :shrug: seeing off a new porsche cayman S along the great western, I even gave them a head start :clap:

Rgds Oz

seeing off a new porsche cayman S along the great western, I even gave them a head start :clap: Rgds Oz

Love it 8) Remember seeing this car advertised- looked awesome!

Anyway, back OT, how are you getting on with the vRS search, Karl? Was that one for £2895 any good?