Sign in to follow this  
CORRADO4LIFE

Stiff Gear Shifting!

That def helps man, I forgot to mention a new clutch and shortshifter was installed by the previous owner... Also he said he put all new mounts in accept for the front engine mount which " looked fine" He gave me an extra he had bought but never got around to replacing it though.

I Was just looking under the little boot thing, and then looked at a picture I saw in an old bentley print out and it looks like the ....I think its torsion spring is not there and the pivot stud has a hook on the metal part the spring connects to, is this normal?

here is a pic

ps, I have no idea where the gearbox is ;P

Ergh...

Welcome to the wonderful world of short shifters. Sounds like you have the exact same fun and games that I do then... I get trouble taking the car out of reverse sometimes, and the 'best' one is it sometimes just refusing to go into gears every time on certain gears, like going from from 4th to 3rd - just outright refuses to go, but I never force it because I don't want to damage anything. Just knock into neutral and let go of clutch and try again. Yet sometimes it works fine.. just about 25% of the time its a ballache.

But its a pain in the ass, especially if you are on a roundabout or something and you are trying to concentrate on the road and you have gearbox fun going on.

I'm going to get the gear shift checked at my service on Friday and i'm hoping all it is, is what Mike described the fix for - just adjusting the gearshift cables. I'll be sure to post if that is indeed the fix, and if it improves things :)

Yep - you are missing the torsion spring from the gearshift. This will help kep the lever in the centre of the gste.

Does the lever flop from side to side? There is a spring at the gearbox end, but...

I wouldn't say flop...but if I move it in a direction, it doesn't bounce all the way back to the center the way it should, or should I say how I thought it should. I think the to rsion spring would fix it..

Can anyone give me a run down on exactly how to do the adjustment thing? I really have no idea where im supposed to find the linkage for the cables, I dont know my way around cars to well yet but would like to do this adjustment myself if I could. Like I have no idea where to look under the hood =P Or under the car or what.

Welp, I found the linkage cables, down below and to the left behind the battery... I'm guessing the cable I should adjust is the one pointing straight up closest to the engine ?

I can't get the damn bolt off =P ugh....kind of scared ! Hope this works out.

You don't need to take the bolt off - just slacken off the nut on the opposite side of the lever to the cable end. The bolt fits in a slot on the end of the lever - just move it a little to the rear and retighten.

If you completely lose your ability to change gear, reset it to where it was when you started (or in the middle of the slot - whichever is easier.

Yep, tried it, middle of slot and I couldn't shift to 1 2 or reverse =P Had to move the thing up close to the front of the car.

I dunno, I guess I need to adjust it more...you sure I wont need to adjust the other cable any?

my 2nd day moving those stupid cables around in like every posistion =P Best I could get it is slightly better, but it still is way off.

It seems best when I move both cables almost all the way to the front.

I ordered the tensioner spring, but im not 100% sure how it goes on. I dont think that is going to help to much either way.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Ok, been trying to figure out my shifter issues some more. I went to the old one that the dude I bought my car from gave to me.

and I noticed something.

here are 2 pics the one on the car is the shortshifter...the other is the old stock shifter.

Notice how the pivot stud and the selector housing where the tensioner spring is supposed to be are no where near eachother like something was bent or something?

Could this be causing my problems? I dunno how much this plays into it or not..

Anyone have any ideas?

it could also be the shift cables. my friends corrado did the same until it locked up and the cables snapped.

I also had similar problems with my G60, before a piston melted, during my rebuild i hope to address these !

I had the trouble getting out of reverse and into 1st, also It would crunch changing up from 2nd to 3rd at 3k + rpm.

It also had a very loud vibration coming from the shifter at certain speeds, I think it was between about 60 to 70 mph.

If anyone has any sugestions as to what was causing the crunch and the vibration, then I would be very grateful, as it will save me time investigating !!

Cheers !

Mine used to 'Jolt' into Reverse, and be difficult to get out of reverse, but these problems seem to of disappeared after changing the box oil to Redline MT90, and replacing the clutch slave cylinder & fluid.

:?: