Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

1.8 16V chip

A friend of a friend has his own business writing engine maps for a living, my cousin is getting his TT remapped for £200 and i got onto the subject of mine, being a 1990 valver it obviously cannot be remapped in the conventional way, but he mentioned that the chip can be replaced. He's offered to do it for £100, and i should see around +14bhp.

Has anyone had anything similar to this on their valver? Is the difference noticeable? I also have a full stainless system, what gains would i see with this, the chip, and possibly a stainless manifold? The engine was fully rebuild less than 10k ago, so i imagine the power to be around factory spec at the minute

I wonder how can a KR "ECU" be remapped and hand in 14bhp, because it has no control of ignition timing... I think KR ECU is only for Idle Stabilisation; however, I may be wrong...

arnau is right the KR ecu cannot be chipped in the usual sense as the ignition timing is hard wired. however, there is a piggy back' system that was used back in the day to allow what was a 4* motor to run on the lower ron unleaded available in the early nineties.

the piggy back chip was called kstar, iirc it basically clipped inbetween the ecu and that heat sink plate, altering the timing slightly and allowing the cold start injector to operate at higher revs, i think you could put basic maps on them too

i had an 89 1.8v valver with a K&N and the kstar and it was mapped at 155bhp which was pretty staggering at the time, they still appear on ebay now and again

if ur willing to learn and experiment with the kjet system there's a few tricks that can be done :D

Well ive spent far too much time and effort on my rado to think about chopping it in for a g60/vr, and im on a tight budget so throwing a turbo conversion at it isnt an option, so im open to ideas of budget tuning.

I can get some more details on exactly what he is planning on doing with it, but he seems keen to have a play around

well keep us posted as i'd be interested to know if he can do anything as i'm building a high comp 2.1ltr 16v with kjet turbo stuff selected from other vehicles.... i have that sig for a reason :D

diificult to explain simply, you'll need to do a search for the 'wur mod' on here you should find a few links, you simply drill a hole in the back of the wur and adjust a screw on the wur (warm up regulator) to lower the control pressure and hence allow better fueling across the rev range

can send the relevant pressures but not to hand at the minute, if you don't find then let me know

oh yeh - you'll need to fab yourself a fuel pressure dial .... maybe it's not so simple after all!

I think if you'd be better off thinking about cams/gas flowing/porting&polishing.

There is also a mod on the WUR which I think Vince at Stealth does which can give some gains also?

There's a decent tuning guide for the 16v in the wiki too m8 (which you've prob already read)