Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

VR6 pads and disks

thanks for the advice on the fluid Joe

a nice tip my mechanic told me, that he has done on a couple of his cars in the past is to spray paint the drum part of the disk with silver paint before you put them on the car. (see diagram to see which bit i mean)

it wont make any difference to start off and initially sounds like a waste of time, but 6 months down the line when the disk face is still silver and the drum part is all rusty brown it will look great cause intead of the rusty brown you will still have nice silver colour.

just a small thing but especially on cars with bigger wheels so you can see the brakes more, it looks smart

So its safe to use the standard DOT4 or DOT5.1 is better but more expensive, but dont use DOT5 as it rots the seals?

In a nutshell... 8)

Dot 5.1 Isn't silicone based so won't affect your seals at all, it will also mix happily with DOT3 or DOT4 fluids, so if you find yourself stuck with low fluid and a slight leak, a bottle of bog standard fluid can get you unstuck... 8)

DOT5.1 isn't that much more expensive, and once you've done it, you'll not have to do it again, unless you boil it! :shock:

Ya gotta remember that the Bently manual was written a few years ago now, and technology moves on pretty damn fast! :lol:

I recently bought some Zimmerman (non drilled) disks and some Textar pads from GSF and would have to give them the thumbs down :(

I've put about 200 miles on them but they feel wooden. The initial bite is not really noticable even though overall power is OK.

I'm not sure if its the pads or the disks but I suspect it's the pads..

Felt the same way about my Zimmerman and Mintex combo. The feel on the pedal was awful, like sandpaper rubbing on concrete...nasty! And boy did the Zs warp....big style.

K