Sign in to follow this  
Monoboy

Uprated headlight loom - advice needed

Having bought one of Gav's spanking new headllight looms, I tried to fit it today. I wasn't sure where to route the cable to the offside light though. I think the original loom goes behind a panel I can only access by taking the bumper unit off - can anyone tell me how to do this (really wish there was a Haynes manual now!), if indeed this is the best way to do it.

Also, where/how have people mounted the relays, or do you just leave them flapping about near the battery?

I'm aware dozens of you have already fitted the new loom, I'd appreciate some tips as to how you did yours.

-Dave

PS I was more successful with new Lupo GTi wipers, they're excellent!

you could run the wire between the rad and the grill,thats where i put mine and i cable tied the relays to the battery cable

Dave, Double sided tape sticks the relays to the side of a clean battery pretty good. If you drop the grille out you will be able to get the loom thru easy too. Use the tywraps I sent to prevent it rubbing on anything.

Gavin

Cool. Seems like the exact route of the loom isn't important then, provided it's properly secured. Will do that.

Will improvise with the relays. Wasn't sure if they needed to be properly screwed down to pass an MOT or something.

Thanks for the help all.

Re the dim-dip, that's the thing in the inside front of the driver's side wing, yellow connectors going into the coil? I assume that's what it is, and that I will need to disconnect it, but my headlights don't seem to be on when sidelights are on though. Is this deffinitely dim-dip (it's a '95 VR6).

Soz for the dumb questions!

-Dave

Dave, the dim dip resistor needs to be disconnected if fitted.

The last one I saw was tucked down by the battery on the passenger side. It looked as you have described though, about 8cm long with yellow wires and a yellow plug.

I am not sure that it was still fitted, on a late car such as yours?

You are right, there is no right/wrong way to route the loom providing that it won't be damaged, with something rubbing on it.

Never be afraid to ask dumb questions. :oops: It would be dumber to break something, for the want of asking on here. :cry:

Happy New Year

Gavin :)

Finally fitted the loom this afternoon, with no probs. I disconnected the dim-dip resister as instructed, even though it seemed to have no effect.

I have to say I'm impressed with the item and results. Haven't driven at night yet but even just shining the lights into the garage they are noticeably brighter, a much whiter light.

Am about to commence a proper test drive this evening.

Cheers Gavin!

Fitted one of Gavins looms he made up for us to fit the Polo's. I was gob smacked to the astounding difference such a simple mod could make. Gav.. you have saved one or two foxes from road kill in the last week. :lol:

Will improvise with the relays. Wasn't sure if they needed to be properly screwed down to pass an MOT or something.

Well, technically, relays should never be in the engine bay anyway, unless well protected from the elements and heat. But as we all know - doesn't do any harm and works fine.

As for any other MoT issues: my car passed fine with both the wiring loom, and "m3-style" film over the rear lights, as well as chrome tinted side-repeaters.

And I have 100w Ice-Blue headlight bulbs - technially a failure, but sailed through fine :)

This was at a Seat garage too.

I love Seat garages. They love the car, and lead times are hours, whereas VW garages just find loadsa problems to whinge about the car and have 1 week (at least!) lead times! And in Derby, the Seat and VW garage are right next door to each other. lol

I'm with you there Andi, Parkway are dreadful. I took the C there a couple of weeks after I bought it, cost me a fortune for an incorrectly diagnosed fault and they broke the fascia of my CD player. Only time I ever visit now is to go to the parts department. I use Sunset VW in town, it's not far from where I live, labour's reasonable and they've been really good with the car.

Yeah, the only good thing VW Parkway did for me was a bit of a warranty job... :)

I prefer Seat next door. Nice peeps in there and they only have to pop next door if they need a part... hehe.

I'll have to find Sunset VW, erm, 'next time'... ;)

Sorry, :offtopic1: