Sign in to follow this  
akacheesy

Heater Controls

From another thread

I think the cogs on my heater dist box appear to be misalligned as the cable arm does not have full travel (detached cable from recently repaired controls as this was the root cause for my busted controls)

- can the cogs be removed and replaced or is it more likely that there is something stuck in the box? Is removal/replacement of the box fairly straight forward or does the whole dash have to come off?

Common problem, the cogs can jump teeth very easily if there is a problem with the cable. You can realign the lever though to restore the flap's correct travel. There's a proper way of doing it and a bodgey way of doing it. Guess which is easier?

Proper way:- Seperate the front half of the heater box by undoing the 10mm plastic retainers. Quite tricky as the console is in the way. Once you have enough of a gap to stick your hand inside the heater box, you need to remove the lever's retaining clip with either a small socket or some pliers. It's in the middle of the lever, so fiddly to get at.

Once the retainer is free, push the lever down and out.

Bodgey way:- Just lever the fecker off from with a screwdriver! But you do run the risk of completely breaking it. Run the heaters at full pelt for a while to soften the plastic first.

Now, you need to figure out the movement of the flaps in relation to the control dial and reset the lever accordingly by reinserting it back in it's hole on the heater box, in it's correct position. It will take a few attempts to get right.

It's bloody hard to explain but have a gander at my sticky thread in common probs and hopefully it might help. You will figure it out once you're down there though.

Kev

Ha, funny this has come up again.....mine broke again this morning on the way to work. That lever in the picture has jumped teeth again. Joy.

I know we shouldn't have to but I think it's wise to wait for the car to heat up before changing heater direction and then only doing it on fan speed 1, max. Otherwise the damn thing just breaks....or will do eventually.

I'm going to try and figure out a way of strengthening that area.

K

Just sorted mine out. The lever under the control box was two clicks out. Managed to correct it using the bodge method and all is well (for now). The controls are a little stiff (control cables) but f I don't use a heavy hand it's OK.

What a novelty - it's the first time I've had the whole lot working since I bought the car. Also wired up some new speakers in the front - I don't know myself! Next week the wheel bearings, brakes and shocks are getting sorted too. yeehaa.

Might try and just leaver the bugga off then, don't really care if it never works again so long as I can manually adjust it. At the moment I have a large amount of air blowing into nothing I just need to get it pointing at the screen.