Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

quick vr6 radiator question

Hi everyone

sorry for going over what is probably very old ground but just need a quick answer to a question.

My Vr6 (recently bought) is running hotter than i think is normal (105-110 water and 100-115 oil temp in normal town traffic).

I have bought thermostat and coolant to change at weekend to see if this is the issue but wanted to check something first. After getting home today i felt the radiator hoses and top one is nice and hot but bottom one decidedly cold so i am guessing water is not circulating.

Any ideas?? Could this be the thermostat not opening or is a water pump or something more likely to be the problem?

Could it just be an air lock? or blockage of some sort?

thanks in advance for help

cheers

Paul

I think you will find that the top hose will always get hot regardles.

Not a bad idea to change the stat as a cause for concern.

Take into account that the rad fans don't kick in till 110deg anyway, it might be worth just running it up on the spot just to make sure they do kick in.

thanks for that - should bottom hose not be warm also?

when i turned it off today fans were both on but not sure about when engine is running.

Sounds like you have air in the system fella coolant change will be best, could be that the thermostat is stuck maybe and yes the bottom rad hose should be warm too!

Bottom hose is the return from the rad, if that's not warm even after your fans have cut in then it sounds like the stat is not opening.

You can't really hear the fans inside the car with the engine running unless you are outside the car,

they do over run once the engine is off if needed.

guys thanks for the prompt responses. will go ahead with new coolant and thermostat at the weekend and fingers crossed that will make a difference.

thanks again

paul

guys thanks for the help.

did job at weekend - took a while as quite a novice but all hoses seem to be heating up now and water temp behaving itself.

tested old thermostat in pan of water and did not open.

just need to sort oil leak now - looks like it may be oil cooler seals.

perhaps try that next

cheers

Take into account that the rad fans don't kick in till 110deg anyway

Wrong. Rad fans come on at 92 degrees, then second speed comes on at ~102 degrees. The "high speed" comes on at 110+. If you EVER get to 110 degrees then something is VERY wrong. We're not living in Dubai here..

The low speed fans are controlled by a sensor on the radiator itself, so either a) the sensor has failed or b) the radiator isn't getting warm because the thermostat has failed. The high speed fan is controlled by a separate sensor and is really for emergencies only. In 7 years of ownership I've NEVER had the 110 degree fan setting come on in my VR, and I've sat in traffic for hours and hours on sunny days.