Sign in to follow this  
stevef182

steering issues, play and pulling..with videos!

I know there have been lots of posts in the past with regards to steering issues and common problem areas (steering racks, columns, wheel bearings, UJs alignment etc etc) but i just wondered if looking at these videos may give some clue as to what my problem might be.

Firstly the steering 'feel' changes all the time, sometimes heavy, sometime light (in both directions - left and right) which makes driving and cornering very unpredictable, there seems to be some play somewhere is the system (see video) as i can move the wheel a fair bit and the car does not move at all - likely to be related?

Secondly it pulls badly, again both left and right which seems odd to me..mainly at very low speeds and when braking or accelerating, cruising between 30 & 70 mph it seems to be fine (ish) sometimes im going real slow and it pulls massively to the right (see vid) and other times it pulls left!!!! :scratch:

Do these problems point to anything is particular do you think? any help/advice gratefully recieved

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n190 ... V00410.flv

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n190 ... V00400.flv

Well .. if you reckon you have play in the steering you can tell by getting out the car and watching the front wheel while you turn the steering wheel slightly. You shouldn't be able to move the steering wheel by more than a few mm before the road wheel starts moving. Get a mate to help by watching the other side.

If there's no play there then you're probably having trouble with wishbones/ball joints/wheel bearings.. but it's not really possible to say which without getting it on ramps and having a bloody good shove at each, independently.

TBH any play as bad as you seem to be describing ought to be picked up at the MOT.

thanks dr mat..i have recently replaced the wishbones etc, and having read your post a while back about dodgy steering and wheel bearings i have been meaning to change the front ones (changed both rears in the last 6 months) i guess that is probabally a better first option before i start replacing steering columns and racks etc..after you changed your wheel bearings was there a really noticeable difference, or quite slight?

Wheel bearings helped significantly, yes, but not as much as the column itself. There must have been play under load in the top UJ which I just couldn't really detect when playing around, but it dulled the steering feel immensely and left me feeling totally disconnected from the road and wheels. I suspect this is one of the reasons so many people are fitting the non-adjustable-column onto ageing Corrados.

indeed..i just wish i had the know-how to do it myself..i would be on the case with the column this weekend if i didnt have to fork loadsa £££ for a garage to do it!