Sign in to follow this  
easypops

VR6 dies after going over a pothole....STILL DOING IT!

Hi all, my recently purchased corrado vr6 died about 30 mins ago after going over a pothole(not even a big one)

After reading this..viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60101&hilit=vr6+starts+then+cuts+out

It is the exact same symptoms........so who can tell me in their best lay terms what the transponder coil looks like.....i'm guessing its behind where the ignition key goes???

Many thanks

Martin

You can't miss it.

Black plastic ring around the ignition barrel. Wire running into the dash.

SOunds like it could be a connection if it occured after hitting a pothole...

Cool i'm off back to where she lies at the moment armed with various tools :D .....wish me luck :lol:

Gutted :( I was sure you would get many miles of trouble free motoring for a while before any of the ineveitable vr problems. As I said in the txt, sounds very immobiliser like.

Its also similar to when the fuel pump died, it cut out then tried to start a few times, cutting out after a second or so, but it was replaced with new from vag so I doubt it will be that again. Definately listen for it to make sure its priming when you turn the ignition on though.

SORTED :D .....turns out it was fuse 16 that had blown......probably because i had the glovebox out and the light was swinging about???....could have touched metal maybe???......all the stuff behind the cowling looked very tight, no way was anything coming loose there

Thanks for your response Joe, The car is a good one, I'm confident of that :D

And Toad,Tom.......Much appreciated mate :clap:

Thats why i love this forum :notworthy:

I had that exact same issue with the glovebox light.

had me stumped for a couple of days. :) Glad you got her going again!

Its only been a couple of days......but i really really like the VR6 drive........and not even because i drive fast, because i dont.......its just knowing the power is there......totally different to the 16v, feels bigger and heavier too? :D

I love the VR because it's easy to drive, but love the 16v because it needs to be driven quite hard, and thus involves you more.

I love the VR because it's easy to drive, but love the 16v because it needs to be driven quite hard, and thus involves you more.

I can appreciate that. But i sometimes find myself driving the VR hard :D

I can appreciate that. But i sometimes find myself driving the VR hard :D

Yeah, I'll do that too, but it's just not as nice to throw down a road as the 16v :shrug:

Mind you, it'll be a bit different when it's working this time around....

Well i thought i had sorted this but it cut out again twice tonight after a sudden jolt of the same pothole as before.......yes i did do it to see if it would happen again :D .....and it did.......thing is it didn't blow fuse 16.......and it started again once i had stopped.......dash lights were flickering but not fully lit until i turned the key to the off position and then back round......i'm guessing it is either the transponder coil or the ignition switch??.......or perhaps the clifford immobiliser??

Any thoughts??

I'm planning to get rid of the factory alarm/imob and the clifford imob and getting a toad Ai606 fitted as soon as funds allow.....i'll prob change the ignition switch and trans coil then as well.......anyone know the part numbers and possible prices?

Cheers

Martin

Ok I was out again this morning and it cut out 4 times.....small sharp jolt seems to do it?......when it happens it will start straight away......also no need to stop as it start with a bump?.......I dont think its the ignition switch or the transponder as i'm guessing these have nothing to do with the running only the starting??......or do they?

I think its the original or the aftermarket immobiliser........both of which i'm hoping will be removed by monday.

Is there anything else i could see fuse/relay wise or something in the engine bay that may be loose that would cause an instant stall? (i have made sure all fuses and relays at the fusebox are properly seated)

Cheers

Martin

I had a similar problem with my 16v. Turned out to be dodgy wire/ connection at the alarm unit under the bonnet. Found it when I jiggled all the wires I could find until it cut out. Don't know what kind of alarm it was, kind of big thing with an on off key and a couple of connector plugs with very fine connectors and wires. I just srarted pulling all the wires around the fuse box then moved under the bonnet and after about half an hour found it.

Did you get this sorted? Im still puzzled as to the cause, it never done it once when I had it.

Yes i did joe, thanks for asking :D

I decided to get the factory alarm and the clifford immobiliser removed.....and get a TOAD AI606 fitted(had one before and no hassles)

Guy came and got into it.......removed all the old stuff.......i told him whats been happening so he had a quick look about and discovered that the transponder had been replaced at some point(old wire still there)......nothing else amiss though.......the only thing was that there was a bit of play in the key when it was in the ignition.....that coupled with my hugely oversized bunch of keys is what probably was the cause (pulling down on the ignition key when i went over a bump)........lets just say that it has been fine since, whether its the fact that the alarm is new or that i only have one key on it?

Either way all is well......really love the noise btw :D

Did you get your new car yet?

Martin

Yeah, I picked it up on the Saturday after you got the vr. Only got to do a couple of hundred miles in it though as up until last night I was stuck in the North Sea.

Loving it though, speed wise its very similar to the vr but the rear wheel drive is awesome and its just good to be driving something different after 8 years of Corrados. Im sure ill get another at some point in the future though. :)