Sign in to follow this  
n3p

Numpty friend overfilled my oil....help :(

Good evening fellow Corradians,

It was all going smoothly and to plan. I placed a new engine into my dead C, and all appeared to be running well. Took it for a spin down the road when the oil pressure warning beeped. Fair enough, told my friend to quickly get out of the car and top up a little bit of oil. Just to clarify, i'm not blaming my friend for my wrong doings! If i were silly enough to overfill the oil then I would own up to it! :p

Anyway, I took it up and down the road (not even 1 mile), driving it fairly hard through first and second. Cue lots of smoke and me worrying sick that my rings were shot. Oil was leaking from my airbox..the oil was about 1/2" above the max mark on the dipstick, and upon removal there was a puddle in my airbox and my intake hoses leading up to the TB were soaked. I drained the excess oil and gave the intake components a decent clean and placed it all back - smoked alot at first, but seems to be ok took it up and down the road again (sensibly) with no oil returning to the airbox.

I have been reading about the effects of overfilling and am now really worried if I have caused any serious damage. Could anyone please determine:

1) How the oil managed to get into the airbox? is it through a breather hose?

2) Are there any checks I can do to ensure that nothing has been damaged? (Seals, Cat, compression perhaps?)

3) Has anyone had the same problem, and if so did you have to do anything to fix it?

4) Am I being overly paranoid, the excess was burned off and should now be ok?

5) Would I have to replace my oily K&N or would the cleaner be ok?

6) Do I cut my losses and start ALL over again?

7) Would it be adviseable to remove my inlet manifold to clean them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm so worried that all of my time and money have been wasted due to a right muppet! I've been reading about 'Airation' or something which occurs when the oil foams up...I hope this won't be the case :(

Thanks,

Nick

1) How the oil managed to get into the airbox? is it through a breather hose?

2) Are there any checks I can do to ensure that nothing has been damaged? (Seals, Cat, compression perhaps?)

3) Has anyone had the same problem, and if so did you have to do anything to fix it?

4) Am I being overly paranoid, the excess was burned off and should now be ok?

5) Would I have to replace my oily K&N or would the cleaner be ok?

6) Do I cut my losses and start ALL over again?

7) Would it be adviseable to remove my inlet manifold to clean them?

1. Through the breather on the block. Ally lump positioned above the oil filter braket.

2. Oil pressure test possibly, and you shouldn't have a cat. But I'd just see how it goes.

3. Dunno, I've seen a G60 topped up far higher than that and it survived.

4. See what happens.

5. Cleaner should do it.

6. Not just yet.

7. See how much oil made it up into the throttle body, might not be too bad....

chances are you'll be OK, shouldn't have a cat to worry about on a '91 16v anyway

If you'd blown seals out because of too high pressure then you'll be pissing it out everywhere, you'll soon see that, just take it steady and monitor the temperature and oil level to make sure it's doing nothing unusual.

I did the same on my mower the other day, spat oil out of the exhaust like it had been sick :lol: after filling the street with blue smoke it eventually cleared and it's fine now... OK so not quite the same thing.

you might want to take the boot off the throttle body and inspect and clean it up in there if needs be. I'd clean and re-oil the K&N if it's badly coated in oil, only because it will be a bit blocked if soaked in engine oil.

edit: toad beat me to it :)

great sig BTW :lol:

If you wanna take it out for a thrash Nick, give me a shout and I'll come along and follow you in case something happens. I got no plans so far this week, drop me a text.

ps. we still need to hook up for a you know what! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bumming session in the woods?

edit: toad beat me to it :)

You did put it a great deal more elequently than me... Any chance of bringing your caliper windback tool down on Saturday?

Shhh, we're trying to keep it quiet until the video is released!

Shhh, we're trying to keep it quiet until the video is released![/quote:3h0tql0p]

:thumbleft: Put me down for a copy on BlueRay.

You shall have the first copy of "The Fist and the Furriest"

You shall have the first copy of "The Fist and the Furriest"

:rofl: Who's the fist and who's the furriest?

Aaah, a swift response as always :notworthy:

Thanks for the opinions, I hope it will be okay. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the temperature and oil level. Whilst on the subject of air filters, are any better than the K&N for the 16v, or are they all just the same poop? (In which case, i could go OEM)

If you wanna take it out for a thrash Nick, give me a shout and I'll come along and follow you in case something happens. I got no plans so far this week, drop me a text.

Definitely have to do that once i've got her taxed - i daren't take it out further than the end of my road at the moment! Although if you want to annoy the neighbours sometime.. :norty:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:rofl: Who's the fist and who's the furriest?

Jim has an insanely fast vr6 - think i'll be doing the fisting from behind :camp:

Thought you might like that! :D