Sign in to follow this  
Twiss

Strange Problem-- Hand brake off reves climb to 3.5K!?

Morning Everyone

My Corrado 16v was a 1.8 now a 2l has seemed to have developed a strange problem as in now and then but it is getting more often if i start the car and sit there letting it idle its perfectly fine but once I release the handbrake the reves climb to about 3.5k at this point I'm not touching anything, then if I put the handbrake back om the reves drop back to normal.

now I've disconnected the ISV when this happens and it drops the reves but then it can't idle at all, i have just serviced her but the problem was there before the service.

Has any one got an idea of where I could start to solve this problem as Ive searched the forum and have has a few places to look but to no avail on solving the problem.

Thanks for any and all help

Vaughn

Sound odd - the only thing I can think is that some how the throttle cable is been pulled by the handbrake mechanism somewhere, although I don't see why it would be routed anywhere near. May just be worth tracing the cables to see that they aren't interfering with each other.

Handbrake cables and throttle cable are miles apart. :scratch:

Howabout the wire for the handbrake microswitch (for the dash warning light) is shorting somewhere and affecting things???

No idea how this would work but more likely than cables fouling! :shrug:

.........the reves climb to about 3.5k...Vaughn

Hi

Is it just the rev counter needle that shoots up OR does the engine rev high.

The engine reves high and the rev counter shows it high reving.

the odd thing is it dosent do it all the time and if i go over a pot hole (not uncommon on the isle of wight) it may stop the problem.

are there any relay s for the isv or the handbrake ?

Ok bit of an update

After it started playing up again on the way topick up the missus last last and then suddenly stopped when I went up the drive and then started again when i drove over a pot hole on the near side.

So when I got home i poked my head under the bonnet and cleaned the isv and pipe work with carb cleaner but also found the battery was lose even though it was clamped down, it rocked forward and backward. Also the extra Negative wires that bolt onto the terminals was lose and could make contact with the body.

So i Nicked/Swapped the Battery from the missus Citroen TD ZX over and now both batterys in both cars are now secure and don't move and plus I moved the extra connections on the ternimal to the inside of the battery terminal as to move as far away from the body it self.

Took it out for a drive last night and the high revs never poped its head up.

so after all it was just a lose battery (and now I've said that.....)

Thanks for the replys

Vaughn