Sign in to follow this  
TomD

G60 - Power cuts out on full throttle! Charger meets bonnet!

Hi!

I need your help - my G60 is doing strange things!

A month or so ago i put a newman cam in it and gave it to the Phirm to set up for me. It came back from them really good and drove really well - no problems.

However over the last couple of days its been playing up. Initially the exhaust started to blow on full throttle, which I could have put up with until I got time to fix it.

It then developed another problem...

When you press down hard on the throttle pedal the power totally dies until you take you foot off the pedal. If you press gently it seems to be ok all the way up to the red line.

Problem is it cuts the power so violently that it hurt my back, and the supercharger has dented the underside of the bonnet even though it has a solid front engine mount and the others have hardly any play!

This made me wonder whether this caused the exhaust blow rather than the other way round (may have cracked the 4 branch) but I'm pretty sure the blow came first.

Did some searching and found this thread - which seems to be a similar problem but no replies (but mine idles ok):

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... ut#p903813

Any ideas? Its had a new bosch lambda but I guess it could be that, throttle switches? :(

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

This mentions a similar problem - hose from back of throttle body to ECU...

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66964&hilit=quick+throttle+g60

This one mentions problem with hard acceleration being due to dodgy fuel lines...

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62595&hilit=problem+when+accelerating+g60

Do you have a boost gauge - if does it drop drastically when you lose power? That would suggest the ISV is venting, which would tie in with you going too lean on hard acceleration.

Also was it mapped when you fitted the cam?

Cheers Jonathan!

I'll check the normal stuff then - ECU line, knock sensor, will have a look at the lambda too as i need to check where the damaage is on the exhaust!

It seems to be a more violent loss of power than the second one link - it really is a sudden total loss of power like the engine is going to stop rather than feeling a bit flat! From the fact its intermitent I reckon its electrical rather than mechanical?

The map was originally for all the mods apart from the cam so i ideally need it mapped for the cam too - it was running lean when I first put the cam in but the Phirm sorted that out!

Do have a boost gauge but was too busy going 'what the f**k' to look at it!

Cheers,

Tom

Although you say the mounts are ok everything you have said suggest there is excessive engine movement, are you 100% sure the mounts & associated struts are ok? All the symptoms, cracked exaust manifold, charger contacting the bonnet, & electrical problem causing the engine to die under hard acceleration suggest otherwise. As you have said the engine dieing sounds like electrical problem, I would check all loom connections to engine, there are a few that would cause this to happen with an intermittent connection.

Good luck

Mick

Album56 - you were right! Checked it out yesterday and although the mounts are fine - but somehow the nut from the top of the front engine mount is missing :confused4: :confused4: :confused4:

No idea how as I triple checked it was torqued up when I fitted it, and checked it again after a coupleo hundred miles.

Has anyone else had this problem with solid front engine mounts - I guess it could be that the vibrations could have loosened it? Seems strange though. Looks like there's a small crack in the front engine mount bracket (which is less than a year old new from VAG!) around the whole where the stud comes through from the top of the engine mount so that may have caused it.

Anyway, not found out where its damaged the exhaust yet but its also taken out the rad fan :confused4:

Cheers guys!

Tom

Seriously mate, id bin the solid front mount asap. They are a horrible idea in my opinion. Just imagine where all the vibration and stresses are going now that you have no rubber to absorb a lot of it as designed by vw? Its all going into the metal mount (which has snapped) and into the subframe and associated bolts etc...

As for the cutting out, check the connections to your coil, if the engine moves a lot they can pull loose but still hang on via the plastic cover over the spade terminal. Id check the single black wire first.

Neil.

I've had problems with my solid front engine mount. Bolt completely came out the first time resulting in excessive engine movement on acceleration which caused a boost leak and pulled my radiator out of its bottom mountings.. I threadlocked a new bolt in but that has come loose a few times. I now just keep checking and can tell from driving if it starts to come loose.

I've had problems with my solid front engine mount. Bolt completely came out the first time resulting in excessive engine movement on acceleration which caused a boost leak and pulled my radiator out of its bottom mountings.. I threadlocked a new bolt in but that has come loose a few times. I now just keep checking and can tell from driving if it starts to come loose.

oh yeah, and it bust my rad fan, which I was going to replace with a slimline anyway so didn't care.

A solid front mount works great with your other mounts in good condition....if the other mounts are cack it will put extra stress on the front solid mount.....

The other mounts are fine...or they were, maybe not after these latest shennanigans.

Good shout on the coil - makes sense if the engine is moving. as there's not a lot of give in those wires - will check it out tonite.

As for the solid front engine mount, rapidly going off the idea as I've had a couple of problems with it. Would a vibratechnics front one with stock rears (Gearbox one is a vr one apparently) be ok to stop movement enough to protect the manifold?

Speaking to a guy I know who is a motorsport mechanic (World Series) and they have trouble with all the vibrations undoing nuts so they use 'K nuts' which are slightly oval sot they grip the thread and never come undone.

Can anyone tell me the thread I'd need for the front engine mount top nut? Can't remember what it is now!

Stupid car.