Sign in to follow this  
matt2.0L16v

engine problem

hi all. ive got a 1992 2.0l 16v, and i've just replaced the matrix, and everything was fine. in fact, the car was running as sweetly as ever. Then all of a sudden, on a drive, the revs dropped and there was no response from the throttle. the engine didnt cut out it just idled. when i pressed on the accelerator it just cycled from 1000 to 2000 revs and back again (even with pedal pressed right down). the only way to get it revving again was to stamp firmly and swiftly on the pedal quite brutally. It doesnt do it all the time, but I'm sure you can appreciate can be annoying, especially when ive got 60 miles of motorway to do on my commute! Any ideas on remedies/causes? (the engine has been running rich btw, but i dont know how to adjust it)

thanks. matt

Sounds like a temp sensor!! Well worth cleaning out your idle valve aswell. Dnt know what temp sensors are on the late valver as mines an early. Could be the good old blue temp sensor but thats usually more of an issue with cold starting?!

Try everything you can though before buying anything expensive e.g. vacuum pipes, isv, sensors, plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap etc.

thanks, for the reply/ but could you tell me where to look under the bonnet?! im fairly competent with a spanner, but every car i've owned before has had a haynes manual so I could locate what i'm looking for! plus every other car i've had has been half the cc, so not much to narrow down under hood!!!! Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, for the reply/ but could you tell me where to look under the bonnet?! im fairly competent with a spanner, but every car i've owned before has had a haynes manual so I could locate what i'm looking for! plus every other car i've had has been half the cc, so not much to narrow down under hood!!!! Any help would be appreciated.

Like i said mines an early valver so different engine I'm not familiar with the later valver engines. Go onto www.vagcat.com and register. In the catalog choose corrado and the year of your car and then choose within all the sub headings. Its easy and you get pic diagrams that are quite tough to follow but give you an idea of what area in yu bay the bits you need to look at are.

...but every car i've owned before has had a haynes manual so I could locate what i'm looking for! ...

If you've got the 9A code engine of the 16v , not the KR, then you can buy the Pink Haynes for the Passat, much of the running gear and engine are the same.

...but every car i've owned before has had a haynes manual so I could locate what i'm looking for! ...

If you've got the 9A code engine of the 16v , not the KR, then you can buy the Pink Haynes for the Passat, much of the running gear and engine are the same.

Is that the one 88-92 ?