Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

mounting rear plate recess

On the way to work this weekend my plate recess fell off, my fault :censored: now the bits are broke has anybody come up with a good solid way of fitting the top section before? plus I got a sub in the boot that doesnt help :wave:

the bits in question :scratch: :scratch: :shrug:

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

should look like this soon

DSC00744.jpg

silicone sealant... takes the pounding from a sub too...

at the top where the bits are broke, what can I do there?

if you look at where the piece mounts onto the tailgate, you'll see that if you stick some BIG blobs of silicone sealant onto the tailgate where the original (broken off) tabs go through, it'll have enough contact to stick the panel back on... you'll need to tape it on tightly while the silicone cures, but it'll hold it with no problems once it's set... Mine was held on like this on my last 'rado and I suspect that it's held on this way on my current G60 having found the tabs in the boot after having the car resprayed... :roll: :brickwall:

I was gonna try silicone i work yesterday but couldnt find any :p On both my rados these panels just look like they wanna fall off :censored:

Discovered a while ago when doing a bit of paintwork. When I undid the number plate screws the whole panel came off! No clips at all. The plate screws just went straight into the bodywork. Not what I'd have done but its never moved berore or after I put it back together.

Use trim-tape or Velcro adhesive tape all round the edge. This is what I used when I had my US-spec surround like yours. You had any trouble with the illegal plate ?

Had it fitted for few weeks, then had misfortune to pull off a mini-roundabout next to my house right when there was an oncoming police T5 coming up the hill, saw my no front plate, pulled me, found the US-spec rear plate. Argued the toss with him about it seeing as correct reflective material, correct diameter and height of digits, correct spacing of said digits and corrrect font.

He was having none of it, gave me £30 fine and said if we catch you again we will report you to DVLA and they will take cherished plate off you :brickwall:

So bang went my idea of fitting a US-spec plate on a daily, shame as I think I was the first to have this. :(

hmmm, I got a regular front plate so it reduces my changes of being pulled I suppose..Does a UK Bike plate fit the us recess?

No, the only plates that fit are US-spec plates which you can buy, but they are usually held onto the rear plate mount with bolts and a plate-frame like this one. The motorbike plates are different size and are for use on bikes only anyways.

Rearusplate.jpg

This is assuming it is a US-spec rear number plate mount you have and not just a Mattig or similar smoothed one ?

yea its a proper Us mount. I dont mean motor bike plate, whats the ones that some taxis have with the reg on two lines

Motorbike plates standard size are 228mm wide x 178mm high in size. Taxi's sometimes run them so they can have this and their taxi licence both displayed in the numberplate mount / recess. Import plates are 330mm wide x 152mm high in size (only for use on JDM or similar imports though). Neither will fit the US-spec number plate mount properly though at all. Although the import plate is the correct height, is is too wide, but could be trimmed, however, our corrado's are not imported so you can't legally run these either. The standard size for US-spec rear plate is 6" (153 mm) x 12" (305 mm), and the only way you can legally run these is to own a US-imported vehicle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I looked into all these years ago. You can run them but is is illegal and depends if you want to ru nthe risk or not. As I own three cherished plates, I decided that I would rather hold onto the plates rather than rosk losing them.

HTH

Top pic is motorcycle plate and bottom pic is import plates.

motorcyclerearplate.png

Importfrontandrearplate.png

Hello mate,

You seem to have done all the research for running legal plates, so can I just clear up a few things, as having no luck on the DVLA website.

Wanting to run a front number plate on a side bumper hanger, like on Alfa's, but from reading your posts motorbike plates are not legal on cars? Even if the spacing, lettering, background is legal?

Is it legal to cut the ends off a normal reg plate to shorten it while still being within the letter of the law?

The full length number plate I'm running at the moment looks daft and not in the right proportion to run with it daily to show off the smoothed bumper. :scratch:

Cheers for the advice. :salute:

I think if you ran a bike or and import plate, it'll be illegal but you'd be less likely to be pulled over for it than if you ran german pressed ones..

like alot of astra gsi's got

247345061.jpg sorry for the astra content

Yep, thats what I thought, surely the plod will pull someone with completely illegal plates before mine with legal german style plates and a motorbike style plate on the front. :scratch:

Looking like its the only way to sort and still make the front look ok. Just don't want the Mrs getting pulled over for the plates, as I may be missing a few body parts the next day. :shock:

This is no real help for your problem , but i got pulled for my press plates a few months ago and the fine has gone up to £60 !