Mawrick

Ceramic coating or powdercoating for inlet manifoil ?

Any pros/cons between the two?, what would you do on a VR6 inlet manifoil if you have the option between powdercoating and ceramic coating?.

Wanting to keep it looking stock.

Surely the heat resistant properties of the cermic coating will be more of an advantage over the powdercoating. For me its function over form. Get your exhaust manifold done as well.

Im confused... :?

Do you mean inlet manifold or exhaust manifold? I ask because i wouldnt think you would ceramically coat an inlet as it doesnt get hot enough, but then you wouldnt powder coat an exhaust manifold.

Am i talking rubbish?

as above traditionally ceramic for exhaust and powder coating for the inlet

i have thought about ceramically coating/ insulating the inlet to try and keep the inlet temps down, however you'd have to stop conduction between head and manifold - otherwise the ceramic/ insulation would heat the charge up :scratch: haven't done enough research to decide myself yet, be interested to know if ur proposing this tho

as above traditionally ceramic for exhaust and powder coating for the inlet

i have thought about ceramically coating/ insulating the inlet to try and keep the inlet temps down, however you'd have to stop conduction between head and manifold - otherwise the ceramic/ insulation would heat the charge up :scratch: haven't done enough research to decide myself yet, be interested to know if ur proposing this tho

Ceramic coating is expensive, but it does do he job rather well. I was going to get it done on my Raceland 6 branch. But it only cost me £60 and the ceramic coating was going to cost me £120 - that was for a new manifold. For a used one it will need cleaning first which they can do but will cost more. In the end i heat wrappped the manifold.

hmm, ok, guess I'l go with powdercoating on the inlet maifoil (which was the one I talked about...;) ).....

Have a friend doing both so the cost isn't realy that much of an issue...;)

hmm, ok, guess I'l go with powdercoating on the inlet maifoil (which was the one I talked about...;) ).....

Have a friend doing both so the cost isn't realy that much of an issue...;)

Good stuff.. its something i've always wanted to get done. Will make the engine bay look smarter. Get some pics up when its done and refitted. :D

sure will do, will take some time though.........the drivetrain is going in for powdercoating first, and have to get that refitted first, then I can get around to the engine itselfe, as it's getting the chain done, head gasket ++++++ :)

if you want a cooler inlet manifold see if you can get a phelonic (sp?) insulator gasket. i have one on my golf 16v and there is a big difference to how hot the inlet gets now

if you want a cooler inlet manifold see if you can get a phelonic (sp?) insulator gasket. i have one on my golf 16v and there is a big difference to how hot the inlet gets now

Phenolic.

Looks good, did you do any sanding down, or did you keep the "roughnes" in the metal?.......I kinda like the original look so want to keep it that way....:)

nice one :D didn't know those existed

Yeah sanded it all smooth :D

I did concider leaving it rough but couldn't help myself...

Happy with how it turned out though. Plus getting it laquered magnifies any imperfections, so smooth seemed the way to go for me.

Personally I would have it grit blasted and then painted silver so you retain the 'roughness' of the aluminium, powdercoating never looks original as it's too thick.

on the inlet manifold, it's a very good idea to get some heat reflecting tape and completely coat the underside of the manifold... you won't see it from inside the engine bay, but it'll drop the inlet manifold temps something rotten helping you keep power instead of suffering from heatsoak of the inlet manifold... ;)

I've done the last 2 inlet manifolds I've had for my G60 and it means that the top of the inlet is only warm to the touch after a good thrashing (140mph at Bruntingthorpe anyone?!?) rather than being hot enough to cook on like it used to be... ;)

I used this stuff on mine... 8)

Oh, and as per the original question, powder coat the inlet, ceramic coat the exhaust... :)

The ideal situation would be to ceramic coat the underside and the flanges taht butt up against the heads. to keep the heat from the hot oil adding to the intake heat. Also ceramic coat the inside of the water jacketby the thremostat housing. Then apply a thin coat of silver engine paint to the intake, it'll look close to aluminum and you'll have the extra advantage of less heat radiating into the intake. Also if you can do it block off the heat riser passages. to cut down on more heat. The thin coat of paint will allow the heat that does get into the intake to pass through. There is also a heat raditing coating but it is black in color.

You can read a great ceramic coating article about the truth at: https://www.bestnetreview.com/best-ceramic-coating-for-cars/