Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Alloys won't fit with new Brembo's, Spacer advice please?

Got a set of Ibiza Brembo calipers with 305mm discs to fit to my 91 G60, (Kit from Junkie), but have 17" TSW Pace Alloys with an ET35 and the clearance with the spokes is too close to call. The wheel spins but think they will be touching when everything is tightened up. :(

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfBremboClearance.JPG[/attachment:2j3l1pcu]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfBremboOnNaked.JPG[/attachment:2j3l1pcu]

So, just after a bit of advice on how to work out what size spacers to put on?

Still plenty of clearance to the wheelarch:- passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfWheelarch.JPG[/attachment:2j3l1pcu]WheelarchClearance.JPG[/attachment:2j3l1pcu]

What thickness, is it ok to just put a set on the front if not going too big, longer bolts, etc.

Any help appreciated. :salute:

On my old wheels i had 2mm clearance with an 8mm spacer and standard length bolts, Jabba said get some longer bolts on, i never had a problem and never changed the bolts, if it spins now then a 5mm spacer will be plenty, for cool looks you want it as close as you can so it makes the brakes look bigger.

Give yourself 3mm clearance from the caliper and you should be ok. Spacers over 5mm and you should be using longer wheel bolts but it doesn't sound like you need them that big.

Exactly what i was told with the bolts, apparently there was about 2 threads worth holding them on @ 260bhp :clap:

No need to buy the expensive hub centric spacers either, it kust makes getting the wheel on a little more awkward without but its easy enough.

Are you running coilovers mate? With ET35 are you not getting rubbage on the inside of the tyre against the suspension?

I ran coilovers with 17 x 7.5 ET35 as it should be on an early dropped roughly 50mm, loads of clearance on the inside, the inner arch liner on the outside would catch the wheel but its took 5 years to only just rub through.

Thanks for all the advice.

Will have a look at 5mm as would like to keep them as close as possible for the looks. 8)

Suspension lowered by about 40mm and only problem is wheel rubbage on inside of wheelarch on full lock, but learnt to live with it.

Junkie - Disapointed in you mate, was expecting a 'For Sale' PM about your Compo's! :lol:

Thanks for all the advice.

Will have a look at 5mm as would like to keep them as close as possible for the looks. 8)

Suspension lowered by about 40mm and only problem is wheel rubbage on inside of wheelarch on full lock, but learnt to live with it.

Junkie - Disapointed in you mate, was expecting a 'For Sale' PM about your Compo's! :lol:

:lol: Just sent you a PM before reading this and i was actually going to say you can just buy my wheels :lol: there are there for sale if you want them and you can have the intercooler for £350 if you buy the wheels.

under 5mm you shouldn't need hubcentric as the hub center sticks into the wheel further than that and should still center the wheel...

My Borbet Cs clear my Brembos by around 1.5mm with the custom 11mm spacers I had made... and yes, I use longer bolts!

general rule of thumb is that if you have as much thread sticking out the back of the wheel + spacer as the thickness of the bolt then you should be fine with the bolts.... if not, I'd advise longer bolts... ;)

As long as the wheel turns and doesn't touch the caliper when it's all on tight, then it should be fine... if your wheel/bearing is flexing enough for the wheel to hit a caliper while you're driving it, you have bigger problems! Personally, I like around a 2mm clearance so any gravel kicked up doesn't scratch the paint on the wheel and caliper... ;) :lol:

Rung my local Halfrauds for a set of spacers, had a set of 5mm. :clap:

Went down and picked them up this evening, got them out of the packet and............ :pale: :shock:

SpacerPic.JPG[/attachment:2n2gn35y]

Wheres the metal?! :lol:

Dont use them, there crap. You never get them to sit perfectly central so you will get some vibration. Ive had this problem, if your getting 5mm then its still best to use hubcentric ones to eliminate the vibrations. Ive got some eibach 5mm ones but there 5x100.

Ive always found that 5mm on the back is fine with standard bolts but 5mm on the front is a bit too close i.e. not really enough threads holding the wheels on. Better safe than sorry when it comes to keeping your wheels on.

There is a rule of thumb that you should have something like at least as much thread into the hubs as the bolt OD or along those lines.

With those wheels he has yes.

Mine were ET35 and cleared with bags of room, it looked naff :D