Sign in to follow this  
Henny

G60 LPG - anyone done it yet?

as per the title... I'm considering getting rid of my 'ssat, and putting the money into an LPG conversion for my 'rado (obviously when I've got it running again!)...

Has anyone on here got any experience of putting an LPG conversion onto a Corrado G60, or even a G60 that's anywhere near as modded as mine is (252BHP)? :shrug:

Or am I just living in a pipe dream again?!? :nuts:

as per the title... I'm considering getting rid of my 'ssat, and putting the money into an LPG conversion for my 'rado (obviously when I've got it running again!)...

Has anyone on here got any experience of putting an LPG conversion onto a Corrado G60, or even a G60 that's anywhere near as modded as mine is (252BHP)? :shrug:

Or am I just living in a pipe dream again?!? :nuts:

Someone has done this you'll have to do some digging. As far as I'm aware LPG burns cooler or something and you can run more advance. I guess the most difficult thing with digi is having it switch from petrol to gas. Been thinking about this myself actually by binning the spare wheel for the space.

Actually not sure if it was a G60 or not!

how did I manage to guess you'd be the first to answer mate? :roll: :lol: I'll just PM you in future before posting questions! :lol: ;) :norty:

Seriously though, I'd also heard that you can get more advance out of an LPG'd G60 (think Darren told me that waaaaayyyy back when....), but I've yet to see one done... I've seen a few VR6s and valvers done, but never a G60...

If I did it, the full size spare would be binned and a tank put in there...

how did I manage to guess you'd be the first to answer mate? :roll: :lol: I'll just PM you in future before posting questions! :lol: ;) :norty:

Seriously though, I'd also heard that you can get more advance out of an LPG'd G60 (think Darren told me that waaaaayyyy back when....), but I've yet to see one done... I've seen a few VR6s and valvers done, but never a G60...

If I did it, the full size spare would be binned and a tank put in there...

So weird, I was researching this earlier today before I saw your post. How strange!! :scratch:

Nope but I did find out that LPG only has 85% of the energy of petrol! :|

Nope but I did find out that LPG only has 85% of the energy of petrol! :|

tiss true, burning LPG produces less heat and less expansion. That leads to lower crank pressure... but LPG gives of its heat "quicker" because its a gas at S.T.P. while petrol is a liquid and forms droplets in the cylinder while combustion is taking place. That means that the engine actually runs HOTTER (which is never good with a charger that's fed off the same oil as the engine!)

Also, (generally) LPG runs similar to petrol until you reach high revs at the top end where it drops off. A seeing as this is where most of the G-Chargers power comes in id say that the drop in performance will be turning your 252bhp car into a little "gas guzzling" girls car.

And finally, i know LPG is much cheaper, but you wont have much of a saving when you realize your averaging 12-15mpg. Because of the lower combustion temp the engine needs to push more fuel through the injectors to produce the same acceleration. I you may make a net saving at the pump but it wont be much... I'd more inclined on converting you Passat work horse to get me the bigger saving on the old fuel

if you going to put a tank in the back make it a tank of NOS and get some more horses out that G60 :norty: :norty: :norty: :norty: :norty:

I did find some good news though...

this is good evaluation of the general chemical differences.

It describes LPG as having a much higher octane level... and the g6o does love octane rich fuel... i still think that the charger will suffer from the increased temps and top end torque as well....

It would appear it is rather more difficult to reproduce the same energy as crude oil by other methods cheaply. Re-locate to kuwait an old friend of mine has just moved out there and has bought himself a a 6.0l V8 Mercedes as petrol is cheaper than water, apparently crude oil seeps out the ground of it own accord. I watched something the other day on telly and this guy said it's all very well trying to go green but crude oil or petrol has more energy than TNT or was it nitroglycerin? I forget! Anyway there's nothing wrong with CO2 it's all bollox you mark my words. They'll be laughing at us in 2040, wetting our knickers over carbon offsetting, what a load of nonsense! Ooops way off topic! :ignore:

if you going to put a tank in the back make it a tank of NOS and get some more horses out that G60 :norty: :norty: :norty: :norty: :norty:

I did find some good news though...

this is good evaluation of the general chemical differences.

It describes LPG as having a much higher octane level... and the g6o does love octane rich fuel... i still think that the charger will suffer from the increased temps and top end torque as well....

Hmm I spoke to go-lpg and they said you won't increase performance using LPG as it's only got 85% of the calorific value.

NOS is a good idea needs to be done right on a G60 though, but not much good for saving money though! :scratch: :lol:

have a look at the torque curve for my engine... if I lost a little top end power, I don't think it'd make the car that much slower, it's got over 80% peak torque from 2000rpm to redline! :lol: If I wanted it to go faster, I could always flick the switch back to petrol turning off the LPG... ;)

Cooling isn't an issue with my engine either... if anything it tends to run a little too cool!

I was, to be fair, also considering sticking a Nitrous kit on her too... I reckon 300bhp would easily be achievable with the bottom end I have with a squirt of Nitrous... ;)

Interesting link though, I'll have a read of that later... 8)

CTWG60 you ever see the experiment with a baked bean can, a length of steel tubing and a teaspoon of gun powder vs a teaspoon of petrol? Well worth a look if you can find it....

Stick a teaspoon of gunpowder in the end of a 1m length of steel tubing which has one end sealed. drop in a full baked bean can (must be a snug fit in the tube), ignite the gunpowder... the can will probably just about make it to the end of the tube... repeat with one teaspoon of petrol... the can will fire for a couple of hundred meters! :eek: :clap: :lol:

I'm not looking to increase performance, I just want to use the car without going bankrupt! :lol:

have a look at the torque curve for my engine... if I lost a little top end power, I don't think it'd make the car that much slower, it's got over 80% peak torque from 2000rpm to redline! :lol: If I wanted it to go faster, I could always flick the switch back to petrol turning off the LPG... ;)

Cooling isn't an issue with my engine either... if anything it tends to run a little too cool!

I was, to be fair, also considering sticking a Nitrous kit on her too... I reckon 300bhp would easily be achievable with the bottom end I have with a squirt of Nitrous... ;)

Interesting link though, I'll have a read of that later... 8)

CTWG60 you ever see the experiment with a baked bean can, a length of steel tubing and a teaspoon of gun powder vs a teaspoon of petrol? Well worth a look if you can find it....

Stick a teaspoon of gunpowder in the end of a 1m length of steel tubing which has one end sealed. drop in a full baked bean can (must be a snug fit in the tube), ignite the gunpowder... the can will probably just about make it to the end of the tube... repeat with one teaspoon of petrol... the can will fire for a couple of hundred meters! :eek: :clap: :lol:

I'm not looking to increase performance, I just want to use the car without going bankrupt! :lol:

You'll have to look at the efficiency of the LPG then. Because your running a high performance engine i think any saving you'll make at the pump per litre will be off set by the fact that LPG gives a reduced MPG. You'll end up having to re-fuel every five minuets! :lol: