Sign in to follow this  
dan

Corrado 3.2 VR6

What 'ya think, Sounds good eh? 8) :lol:

I was wondering?

:?: Is the new R32 engine basicially similiar to the 2.9?

:?: is it possible to bore the 2.9 out to 3.2

:?: If it was possible, could you use some parts from the new engine i.e. rings and pistons to do the job?

:?: what sort of power increases could you expect? (my guess, 240bhp & 235lb)

:?: Who could do this mod? (I'd say, PD Motorsport, SNS tunning, Awesome, BBM)

:?: How much would it cost? (approx., £1000)

:?: Has anyone out there done this or anything similiar i.e. 1.8 to 2.0? (my guess, yes :D )

You don't have to be an expert just, can 'ya think of any other possibilities, problems, advantages or dis-advantages etc...?

not sure if the r32 is a new block.

I was told that the 2.9 was already an overbore and so the tolerence was already taken. once a 2.9 is on its way out you cant rebore like a 2.8.

could be wrong.

expect the main differences are piston size/ring quality, CC, intake manifold design over older VR, Throttle body size?, mapping.

Was always told that the weakest link in the vR is its inability to get enough air hence the turbo/Supercharge instant power increase by lots. expect that VW have put lots into getting the engine to breath better.

strap on a charger thats what i say

The 2.9 is already stretching the limit a bit! If you think, the origional VR was designed to be a 2.4, then became a 2.6, then a 2.8 and then the 2.9 for the 'rado.

The 3.2 is a different block (ie it is a 24v engine as apposed to a 12v) and thus a little bit bigger. You may be able to shoehorn a 3.2 into a 'rado, but I'd say 3.2 would be pushing a bit too far.

Try posting an email to Niko on here, his VR is running at 3.1 at the mo.

HTH

Brodie Briton Racing (BBR GTI) have a lot of experience in coverting the 2.9 VR6 to a 3.1 but they don't do it by boring-out and it's a very expensive mod.

I agree with GazzaG60 - the supercharger's the way to go.

u modify the crank dished pistons and bore the block and youll be geting 3.2l of displaccment

Correct, the bores are too close together to go mad with over-boring. As mentioned the only way you can do it is with a combination of crank and pistons.

As for cost, bargain on a few thousand, at least.....for a PROPER job. To be honest you'd be better off with a Supercharger, providing you have the patience to iron out pinking and extremely hot running issues.

You could use a 4 Motion engine which has variable valve timing and being 24V, ideal for Supercharging. Shame the head bolt pattern is different to the 12V otherwise you could bung a 24V head on the 2.9. Good for at least 210 I reckon.

Stealth racing do a true 2900cc engine (as opposed to the normal 2861cc) with flowed and big valve head, shrick VSR, chip etc that produces well over 200bhp, about 240+ I think. Ain't cheap at £4K though. Quality costs unfortunately!

Kev

94 VR6

> Try posting an email to Niko on here, his VR is running at 3.1 at the mo.

I e-mailed with him couple of days ago and he told me 3.1 was as far as you can go with overborring. I think he said he found suitable pistons from JE Pistons. I am now looking at JE piston catalogue at their site: oversize pistons are listed for VR6 2.8, can they be used with the 2.9 too?

http://www.jepistons.com/pdf/2002-sport ... subaru.pdf

BTW, is there a stroker crank available for VR6 motors?

Well, turbocharging could be the easiest way to gain good power. Swap to lower compression pistons and build/buy a turbo exhaust manifold and start plumbing ;) Could be a tight fit though... During my Corrado learning efforts I've seen bolt on kits for this - a bit easier route but not cheap.

Toni

Yeah there is plenty of space behind the engine block for a Turbo. Stealth produced a VR6 turbo some years ago and was insanely fast but they reckon getting the parts required is no longer easy or cheap.

Thanks guys,

I suppose if it was so easy we'd all have it done by now. :)

So supercharger causes 'pinking' and 'overheating' :shock:, didn't know that... I was lead to beleive from reading the web sites that, the latest charger kits were just bolt on in four hours and thats it! :?: How are these other related problems overcome and are there any more little niggles that we should know about before buying a charger kit?

I really like the idea of a supercharger. Would prefer a turbo though but due to fraggle rock being what it is, there aren't any people over here to do the job.

So why don't we see any turbo'd VR's then?

I really like the idea of a supercharger. Would prefer a turbo though but due to fraggle rock being what it is, there aren't any people over here to do the job.

Here, here

I'm not a mechanic so, I tend to follow the trends. The trend for upgrading the VR6 always seem to be in favour of the charger. I thought the supercharger was the best option due to its easy fitment but I'm now hearing it will also need an uprated intercooler and re-chipping!

Maybe going for the supercharger option is a bit of a false economy?

Yeah the Supercharger is a bolt-on mod but the VR6 runs hot enough as it is and compressed air is hot (standard Supercharger kit doesn't come with an intercooler) too, so you end up with a heat problem. I'm not sure how the tuners overcome this but an inter or charge cooler is one way. Another way would be to rip out the Motronic and fit a DTA management system which gives you infinite tweaking and the ability to run an addtional fuel rail, sequentially.

Things may have moved on now but it was certainly a problem a few years ago! Best to speak to Stealth as they have a lot of experience of forced induction VR6s. One word of caution though, Stealth don't like time wasters, they get lots of calls from 17 yr olds asking about VR6 4WD MK1 conversions and the like, the poor guys!

Cheers

Kev

Cos i dont think there is much room for the turbo behind the block and it would need a new manifold to do it. being a V6 im sure it would be better to run to small turbos, but5 then there is the room issue again.

the supercharger option is better as the room is there and its less work i think could be a load of rubbish just that what it seems to me

i've seen turboed vr's over here... but a supercharger is usually more practical for most people to upgrade to. i'd go with a sc if it was my vr..

and about the 2.8 and 2.9L vr's sharing parts with the 3.2L, i've read that very little is interchangable, and that the block is not interchangable. someone will probably find a way to mad-scientist it all together tho.. its a vw.

:D

Hmmm.... Food for thought! I like the idea of a turbo with small boost just for that little bit extra! 8)

The Shrick VSR is a nice idea, gives 25ft/lb extra at 3000 rpm plus more top end power and torque. At £1750 fitted though, it's half way toward the Supercharger conversion!

Does anywhere actually offer the shrick fitting service? Do you have to source the shrick yourself?

Would like to do it though.

That £1750 fitted price is from Stealth, they source it. The actual manifold itself is £1500+VAT. One thing many places won't tell you though is the manifold is three piece and you have to take it apart to get to the spark plugs. No real biggy as plugs last ages and Vince reckons taking it apart is a piece of cake.

Only snag is it's an engine mod and insurance companies don't the like the VR6 as it is. You need someone like Brentacre to insure it who give you a BHP limit and you can do anything you like to the car (except roll cage), so long as it doesn't exceed, say 250bhp.

I'm with AXA and I don't know yet how strict they are with mods!!

Kev

94 VR6