Sign in to follow this  
lockdown

Removing a rado headliner

Well while the rado's off the road I thought I'd spure it up a bit (had enough of engine work :( ).

The headliner fabric seems to be coming away in a few places so I'm going to recover it. How do I go about removing the whole headliner from the car?

take out the rear shelf supports, a,b and c pillars and the sunroof switch surround etc, inner seal, then just slide it out through the boot.. :D

I :luvlove: this forum sometimes :D

What about the sunroof bit?

Thanks mate

to get that out you'll have to take the whole sunroof out, as its part of the sunroof...

how easy is the sunroof to remove once the headliner etc is out?

childsplay, is about 5 10ml bolts if iirc...

Does the sunroof removal require the headlining to come out?

yup, theres no way of getting to the bolts to undo the roof.... headlining has to come out, then you can undo the bolts on the sunroof slide it forwards to get it off its rear hangars and then lift it out through the boot..

When you get round to doing this could you do a write up maybe with pics as i'm wanting to tackle this in the next few weeks.

All my headlining is sagging. Thinking of redoing it in black.

When you get round to doing this could you do a write up maybe with pics as i'm wanting to tackle this in the next few weeks.

All my headlining is sagging. Thinking of redoing it in black.

if i get round to doing my spare headlining ill make a guide for the wiki...

No need to take any A-B-C pillars off. i did my sunroof last week and took Mike Edwards advise (and glad i did ) :notworthy: Just take the sun visors off, interior light out and the internal strip around the sunroof and then remove the clip in strip at the very back of the lining and slide out (took about 10 seconds to slide out) Did all this within 5 mins. putting back in just needs a second person to slide the lining back in as it needs to be put back square in line.

I had a non working sunroof for three years because it sounded daunting to fix but it was really simple and i wish i had done it years ago :clap:

it can be tricky getting the headlining past the b pillars, you'd need to loosen them at least so that you can slide the headlining out, makes it a lot easier..

non-sunroof headlining will come out easier as no sunroof to mess around with..

Might do it this way then.

What adhesive did you use to stick your new fabric onto headliner?

i havent done it yet.. a good sort of contact adhesive will do the job, havent really thought about it yet tbh..

Right, I have taken all the a,b,c pillars and trim off. I have taken the sunroof seal off. The only thing that is holding it in now is the strip that goes along the front wind screen. Does that strip come off? Or will the roof lining just pull away from it?

the headlining just slides into the strip along the front. the strip is clipped onto the window aperture using metal clips and not easily removed with the windscreen still in.

hope this helps

stu

Hi all,

The only problem I've found with sliding out the headlining is that it can catch and rips off the sponge insulation, Ive changed a few now and all I do is loosen off the trim, remove visors/ int lamps etc and then carefully prize it out starting at one corner. It does bend slightly but as long as you are careful it shouldn't damage it ( or should I say it hasn't yet for me ) re-fitting is exactly the same. I've also found that the older head linings are thicker, which can make it a little harder to fit but sit alot tighter once fitted. Also for cleaning them without ripping it to shreds and/or soaking it I've found that the new 'AUTO GLYM' Active Stain remover works wonders!! You get Spray, a cleaning sponge and a course but non abrasive sponge with the kit. I got my in Halfords when I was last getting some polish with one of there 2 for 3 offers. Think on it's own it cost £12.99 but well worth it. Simple to use, spray on, rub in with course sponge and then wipe off with soft sponge. As simple as that and left no ring marks. Used it on 3 different head linings now and still got 1/2 of a bottle left and each one had a good working over as they were filthy.

Another thing to remember if you are removing the sun roof, make sure it's in the fully closed position when you remove it as this makes it's easier when refitting especially if you are on your own and remember to refit the drain tubes otherwise you'll be cursing yourself when we get some bad weather and then you'll kiss goodbye to the headlining!

Stu

(Wondering why I've got 2 C's on axle stands on the drive and I'm not out there...oh yeah.. just remembered, Royal Mail don't rush for anyone! DOH!)

Got it off, unfortunately the insulation stripes did crumble off, but thankyou for the advice :)

I :luvlove: this forum sometimes :D

What about the sunroof bit?

Thanks mate

to get that out you'll have to take the whole sunroof out, as its part of the sunroof...

Once you have the sunroof lining off, how do you then remove the lining on it?