Sign in to follow this  
black dub

ABS removal (permanently)

hi i was after some advice on removing my complete ABS system as i am smoothing the engine bay, hidding the loom but also adding a big turbo so question is has many people removed their ABS system and how are you people coping with locking up and pedal feel?

i have 312mm TT front brakes and 280mm rear brakes.

any input would be a great help as it would free up space and look less cluttered.

cheers

we removed one from a 106 gti we uopgraded the brakes to black diamond and fitted bd pads as well also replaced all hoses and fitted goodridge. i have driven it and the brakes feel mental on it hold on and it did skid but was controllable :D

I have the same front set up. 312s with steel braided lines and i just removed the ABS, and used a AudiA3 master cilinder.

I have so much power that i could lock at any speed my car is able to go, but also feel enough to not do it.

I still need to find a panick situation, but in yet have to test it in wet roads, where could be hairy.

Technically I don't think the car would actually pass an MOT again...

I would have thought ABS would be the one thing you'd want onboard if turbo'ing!?!

I detest ABS, it will pass the MOT, if it was faulty it would fail but as there is none on the car then it cant fail, dont forget some Corrado's never had ABS like mine and im glad it does not.

Its like if your spare tyre is bald it will fail so take it out the car and it will pass as there is nothing to fail.

I have a turbo and still dont want ABS.

J-DUB had ABS and I never rated it... H-YYU now has J-DUB's brakes (305mm brembos up front and MKIV rears with Goodridge hoses all around and DOT5.1 fluid) and the brakes felt better, more responsive... I could lock the brakes up if I tried, but I KNOW when they were about to lock up where the ABS on J-DUB used to just kick in with no warning and would affect the feel of the car when it did it being very off-putting...

As OSV says, it's not a requirement for the car to have ABS, only that it works if it's fitted... I know that Dubwhizz over on Dubforce.net took it off his Oettinger Golf G60 and found it actually felt better and was more predictable too...

Horses for courses I suppose... :shrug:

cheers, im not worried bout the MOT as like you said if its not there it cant fail. prob need to remove the bias valve under the rear axle to and replace with bias valve from some one like willwood for instance.

i just wanna be really sure before i remove it all as one the bay has been painted after i finish smoothing there is no going back. :help:

Hi,

Don't know about MOT but check this out as it may be some help.http://www.oichan.org/mods/abs/abs2.htm

Ian

Black Dub, if you want to get a feel for how it will be without ABS just unplug one of the sensors...

This will disable the ABS and you can then see how it feels! :norty:

i have similer problems

my abs pump if thats what it is, its broken or so i was told its not working so my breaks are quit stiff and i have to push it all the way while gearing down to stop and it either takes a long way to stop or would lock the tiers and skid for a sec so i cant really drive as quick as i would like to

i am still on stock breaks and was hoping to feel a diff if i remove the abs

does anyone know if that would work

i would like to change the breaks if its necessary if so any advice im not goin to turbo or supercharge just going to do some tunning up my corrado i like it the way it is its a vr6

thanks for the info, i have decided i am removing it for sure now so im in the middle of getting the loom out but it looks like the dash will have to come out to access the loom and to remove the abs bracket.