Sign in to follow this  
Adski

Oil light Flashing and Beeping... what does it mean?

Well i was driving to work on friday afternoon in my G60, the Oil light started to Flash and Beep, Thought may just be low on oil so got to work (its not that far), checked it and its all fine, Im regulary checking the oil so i kinda knew it was ok, checked it again when it was cold and again all fine,

soo i had a bust afternoon and almost forgot about it, jumped back in to go home and all was fine, no noises or anything, so thought nothing else of it and carried on, iv come to it tonight and was driving to Lincoln from Newark (about 15 miles) and all was fine, didnt take it above 3k until temp was over 80, i stopped to pick my gf up, and then driving down the A46 it started again, went round the roundabout and it stopped, few moments later it started again,

Driving back i took it real steady and it seems then when i take the car just over 2k the flashing and beeping starts,

Any ideas???

Brilliant, Thank you for this, One more daft question, if i tak that out, will Oil come out behind it?

There are two warning systems for Low pressure (2 switches). The Buzzer (in the cluster) is part of the dynamic oil pressure system so that during driving, if the oil pressure on the low pressure switch is sensed, the buzzer will sound. Usually, until the key is turned off and back on.

Heres how the system works:-

1.4 Bar switch on Oil Filter Housing is normally Closed or grounded (Opens under pressure 1.4 Bar+).

.3 Bar switch on Head (8V) is Normally Open (Closes under Pressure .3 Bar+).

If the 1.8 Bar fails above 2000 RPM the buzzer will sound and Light should blink

If the .3 bar is grounded at any time, only the light will come on and should blink

Make sure you have the right switch in the right place. There should be a stamp on it showing the pressure. You can usually tell by the color of the switch, but that is not always true. The 1.4 bar should be dark brown or black and the .3 bar (on the head) should be light tan or blue (colors have very slightly different pressures from older 8v's and or 16v).

Do not ignore this oil warning as there could be a problem with your oil system. My engine sounded its alarm periodically and assumed it was just the switches playing up. Then one day at high speed the alarm sounded shortly followed by knocking :epicfail: and an engine rebuild!! When the sump was removed the oil strainer was blocked with pieces of gasket sealant, this was traced to excessive sealant used on the sump gasket by the previous owners garage :censored:

I have now fitted an oil pressure gauge as this is a better indication of oil pressure than a buzzer. It is also important to have the correct grade of oil as oil that is too thin will set the alarm off prematurely.

Changed the Switch... :censored: Thought it worked, ran it upto temp, revved it a bit, nothing happened, it got upto 100 Degrees and then it started beebing again... :censored:

:help: :help: :help:

Garage time i think.

Do corrados have a ODB Socket? as my mate has a Vagcom,

oh dear,you will need to get an oil pressure gauge plumbed into the oil system,fisrt the head then block,if the pressure is low then as in one of the above posts get the oil strainer checked for blockage.

Then if thats ok its possible oil pump and if that fine.....something like bearings are goosed...but your engine would sound like a tank! so i suspect not.

Changed the Switch... :censored: Thought it worked, ran it upto temp, revved it a bit, nothing happened, it got upto 100 Degrees and then it started beebing again... :censored:

:help: :help: :help:

Garage time i think.

Do corrados have a ODB Socket? as my mate has a Vagcom,

No - no OBD port unless you have ABS as that's all you can diagnose on the G60 alas. Some good old manual detective work required :(

Right... Is there another sensor that kicks in at 4k?

As now the beeping isnt starting until 4k,

Changed Oil and filter tonight and flushed the system,

Right... Is there another sensor that kicks in at 4k?

As now the beeping isnt starting until 4k,

Changed Oil and filter tonight and flushed the system,

No the one sensor monitors above 2000 RPM. I assume the system has worked ok in the past??

When I first got my car the 2k sensor lead was swaped with the oil temperature lead. Both sensors are together on the oil filter housing. As the oil temperature sensor changes resistance with temperature the oil alarm did not bleep until the engine had warmed up. Failing that it looks like its sump off time :( :(

Putting a Pressure Guage on tonight, so see what its runnung, Whats normal on this engine?

its only happening when the engine oil is over 100 degrees,

Putting a Pressure Guage on tonight, so see what its runnung, Whats normal on this engine?

its only happening when the engine oil is over 100 degrees,

Yes as the oil heats up it thins and causes the pressure to drop. This is why we fit oil coolers to our cars if it gets to 120 ish degrees the oil is pretty much useless.

My gauge, which measures the pressure at the super charger oil feed take off on the head, reads just over 1 bar at idle and quickly indicates 3 bar+ (this is approx 1 bar higher when the oil is cold) if I rev the car. less than 1.4 bar is the cut off for the alarm at 2000+ RPM. Did you fill the car with the correct oil the Corrado G60 uses 10W 40 Semi Synthetic?

Just thought of something. What filter did you use? Very important to use the OEM one (something to do with the charger feed) I have seen posts that mention the oil filter causing the alarm to go off. No experience of that myself but I thought it was worth mentioning. Really though I think its sump off time :eek:

Hmmm, Funny you should say that, i couple of weeks ago i did do a service and used a Mahle filter, Now i have changed the oil again and used a OE Filter,

But i have ordered a new oil pump, Filter, and shrick Sump and Windage tray, it can only benefit from these,

Well good luck with it, mine had a windage tray when it was rebuilt but i still have the standard sump. Keep us all posted on what you find :D :D

Hello

I'm Romanian and my english its not very god. Apologise. I have a corrado 2.0 16v from '93. always my red light from the gauge is off.temperature from the oil indicate ok, but the red led it always off. where it's the sensor [the switch] of the red light on 2.0 16v corrado? thank you

Im not sure on the 16v Engine, But mine was on the side of the Block just before the Oil Feed to the Charger,