Sign in to follow this  
Topaz2008

G60 Gearbox Question

I am experiencing gear change problems :( The car changes gear fine during normal driving but during fast driving or block changing, from second to fourth gear the gears crunch. Occasionally the car is a bit stiff :shock: when selecting first gear at the traffic lights. If I lift and press down the clutch pedal it selects fine.

I have already had a new clutch, slave and master cylinders, fluid change and new flexible hose. I was considering changing the gearbox oil before pulling the thing out for a rebuild. The car has covered 115,000 miles

Any ideas?

I'd change the oil with some decent fully synth stuff - I put VAG stuff in mine. Also get the shifter aligned by someone who has the special VAG tool. The G60 boxes are cable change and a bit more susceptible to going out of alignment

I'd change the oil with some decent fully synth stuff - I put VAG stuff in mine. Also get the shifter aligned by someone who has the special VAG tool. The G60 boxes are cable change and a bit more susceptible to going out of alignment

Ive been having this on mine, what tool is it you need? can you buy it?

I'd strongly suggest trying some Redline MT90 transmission fluid. I used to run it in my G60 for a year or so then, in what can only be described as a moment of madness, decided to get it changed out for genuine VW gearbox oil. I found that the change was immediately notchier / less fluid and immediately regretted changing it out but didn't want to have to pay the comparatively steep price to get it changed again.

I've also heard that Silkolene SynTran 5 is supposed to be very good - but have no experience of it myself.

Seriously debating some MT90 now for my 2.0 16v as I'm finding that, when cold and for the first few minutes of driving, 1st to 2nd sometimes doesn't go and instead results in bit of grinding. Oil in the box is only a year or two old VW stuff, but I reckon MT90 will really help it out!

Just changed the transmission fluid to Redline MT90. The old oil was filthy and smelt of cats p1ss!!

What a difference :D :D the gearbox is nice and quiet now and changes gear just as it should. Thanks for the top tip :clap: :clap:

Just changed the transmission fluid to Redline MT90. The old oil was filthy and smelt of cats p1ss!!

What a difference :D :D the gearbox is nice and quiet now and changes gear just as it should. Thanks for the top tip :clap: :clap:

mineral gearbox oil does smell bad, the synthetic fluids don't smell of anything, easy way to tell what's in a gearbox.

MT90 or VW fully synthetic are good, and so is Castrol SMX-S, which is available from Halfords.

Yep, sounds like a syncro issue so I would change it with the cheaper VW stuff (fiver a litre ), drive it for a couple of hundred miles and then change again to Redline MTL (2 US quarts needed)

Also check cable alignment and engine mounts.

Clean and grease the shifter tower assembly too - on top of the gearbox.