Sign in to follow this  
STU175

WILL A 95 2.0 16V GEARBOX FIT A 91 G60???

Hi all,

after a few problems with my driveshaft coming out of the gearbox looks like i need a replacement gearbox for my 91 g60 :(

are corrado gearboxes interchangable if so what else will fit on mine? i have a low milage box off a 95 2.0 16v will it go on and are the driveshafts the same??

i have searched but not found any answers

thanks in advance for any advice i have sent a donation to andi

it will, but the gearing will be horrid for a G60, you'd be better off looking for a diesel box if you can't find a G60 one.

ok how about an 02a gearbox from a 96 b4 passat box code CHA would this be the one your on about?

OK say you have a G60 with an AYL/AYK box

Figures from ETKA:

FD 9/17

1 34/9 3.78:1

2 36/17 or 40/19 2.12:1

3 40/28 1.43:1

4 35/34 1.03:1

5 36/43 0.84:1

passat CHA

FD 9/17

1 34/9 3.78:1

2 36/17 2.12:1

3 34/25 1.36:1

4 33/36 0.92:1

5 33/46 0.72:1

looks like the diesel box is quite a bit longer legged in 3rd, 4th and 5th, but would be better than a short ratio 16v box given the lower rev range and better torque of the G60

passat one it is then? thanks for your info m8. is it a straight forward swop over using my original drive shafts, mounts etc?

passat one it is then? thanks for your info m8. is it a straight forward swop over using my original drive shafts, mounts etc?

should all be straight swap, only VR boxes have a different bell housing, and once you go to the 02J boxes on the mk4's then most have larger drive flanges 110mm instead of the 02A 100mm IIRC

A g60 may have the earlier shift tower, but that can all be swapped from the old G60 box (you may need the bottom bearing too which means draining the oil out) it's the cap underneath the box with two 13mm bolts, VW logo on it on the later ones, they changed from 15 to 16mm.

hi all can anyone offer any advise on fittng this. as above i have been told i will have to "swop over the earlier shift tower". Is this easy enuf i have changed gearboxes but allways stayed away from pulling parts out of them? :D

Also i still have the passat drive shaft flanges still in the chb gearbox, are they the same as G60 or will i need to swop them over?

Any advice appreciated

Stu

shift tower swap is not really taking the box to bits

it's just two 13mm bolts holding it in the top of the box and then depending on the build date of the box you might have to drain the oil and swap over the bearing cap that unbolts from the bottom of the box, again with 2 13mm bolts, doddle really.

cool that bit sounds allright then. do you happen to know about the remaining driveshaft flanges from the passat?

sorry to butt in but im fitting a passat box into my corrado was early 16v(now 20v)now the shift tower looks similer but has a plastic conector for the shift cable ?would i need the shifter and cables from the passat or will my 16v ones still work and has anyone got pics of the differant towers?? :shrug:

yes mate im pretty sure you will have to do the same as described above it is really easy.

just be care ful when you take off the bottom bearing for the shift tower mine didnt wanna come off!

twisting it after taking out the shift tower worked for me dont try and knock it side ways you will break it. i can get you a photo but you wont need it :D

thats a first me giving advise!! :D

thanks :D ,im gutted now as ive just painted it all cream so now it s gonna get all dirty :mad2: