Sign in to follow this  
Wendy

Finally its booked !!

My Race Licence Test Day.

Some of you will recall my relatively recent post of Nissan 350Z/BMW Z4 which led onto 996 Porsche 911.

I had a great time viewing all these, driving them etc. Much thinking later, I decided my Corrado is just brilliant.

At no time did i feel when getting back into to it after the test drives, that it was aged or lacking in power and performance.

Yes, of course, the 3 cars mentioned were all newer, faster and also a further minimum of 14k on top of the Corrado.

Frankly I decided, if any of them had been a further 2 - 3 k then I would have parted with the Corrado, but none meant enough to me to part with the additional money required. Topped with - what ever I purchased I was going to drive and not just cruise and pose in.

With regards to the Porsche though, as many of you know I have always wanted one, I currently have one of the Porsche dealerships locally going to call me for a Test Drive in a Cayman when they get in a second hand one. I now do not wish to wait until i can afford one, to then find it is not the car i thought it was. This being pretty much how I feel about the 996. Frankly my Corrado is of better build quality. Most 911 have had 4 plus owners and it shows.

All this then highlighted what I really needed to do - get rid of my speed on the Track.

I have now done numerous Track Days over the last few years but only just enough to feed my need for speed !!!

So I decided to get my Race Licence and go racing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully this will feed my competitive streak sufficiently !!

I am right at the initial stages, so have no idea what race series I am likely to compete in, but one step closer and sooooooooo excited. :D :D :D

Are you not worried that you might be just a little too competitive for mere motor racing Wendy? LOL

Are you not worried that you might be just a little too competitive for mere motor racing Wendy? LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: you getting worried John?

:lol: :lol: :lol: you getting worried John?

Actually Wendy & I did briefly discussed not being on track at the same time on the Autometrix Track day in case what I'll call 'serious competitive instincts' came into play. We both thought it would be a bad idea (not that I'd have pulled away anyway, haha) on both sides. Of course now my engine is boloxed so the problem has resolved itself. I just pity everyone else on track now. They won't know what's hit them, thats for sure.

As regards the racing series I heard that Wendy was planning to visit the DTM round at Brands in September. So if anyone finds Suzie Stoddart tied up with rope behind the pits, you'll know who's qualifying the AMG Mercedes :)

However, the only thing is I am a complete wimp when it comes to thinking of putting my Corrado on Track. The 3 laps we did at Coombe some years ago is one thing. I much prefer using a car that is fully prepared and suitable for the Track.

I have aso been thinking of where I might like to position myself on the Autometrix Day, in view of the competitive edge I have :lol: Do I start in the front or start at the back ?

In seriousness - does anyone know if we are getting a Safety Briefing as this also goes through the Track and provides a Led 2 laps, so everyone can get to know the Track prior to being let loose !!!!!!!!!!

Now that would be a good but very scary place to start my Racing- DTM's ! :lol: :lol:

However, the only thing is I am a complete wimp when it comes to thinking of putting my Corrado on Track. The 3 laps we did at Coombe some years ago is one thing. I much prefer using a car that is fully prepared and suitable for the Track.

I have aso been thinking of where I might like to position myself on the Autometrix Day, in view of the competitive edge I have :lol: Do I start in the front or start at the back ?

In seriousness - does anyone know if we are getting a Safety Briefing as this also goes through the Track and provides a Led 2 laps, so everyone can get to know the Track prior to being let loose !!!!!!!!!!

Now that would be a good but very scary place to start my Racing- DTM's ! :lol: :lol:

Yes there is a mandatory safety briefing at the Autometrix Day. You aren't allowed on track unless you attend it. Normal trackday rules; passing only allowed on the right & by consent; no overtaking in the braking zones & corners, no aggressive behaviour, monitoring/warning & blag flagging by the marshals if you break the rules etc.

Frankly if you're slightly concerned about being on track with the others, I suggest you try to line up at the back of the line, or alternatively pull over & let everyone pass you on the way out to the track, give them some time to get clear, and then go out onto an empty track. The fastest Corrados will take at least 1m30s to come around so you have plenty of time.

You'll enjoy the clear track far more IMHO, and take things at your own (undoubtedly excessive) pace. If you do catch anyone they'll pull over to the right and let you pass if they've followed the rules. Most common overtaking spots at Combe trackdays are (1) main straight between Camp & Folly (2) between Quarry & the Esses (3) between Bobbies & Camp (although that one takes a bit of confidence even if you're being let past). If you have monster brakes and the confidence necessary you can also overtake (4) over the Avon Rise into Quarry and (5) from Hammerdown into Tower :cuckoo:

Are you really doing the Autometrix session then Wendy?

surely it depends who else is on the track, or rather whose cars are.. if most others are near enough standard then theoretically with all your experience then you should disappear off into the distance Wendy?! i might use you as a pace car though, perhaps, probably :)

So if anyone finds Suzie Stoddart tied up with rope behind the pits

If I had Susie Stoddart tied up with ropes I'm not sure I'd bother with the Merc. :norty:

If I had Susie Stoddart tied up with ropes I'm not sure I'd bother with the Merc. :norty:

That's a fair point actually

:D

That's a fair point actually

:D

Well you guys can fight over Suzie and I will take the Merc :lol:

No need. If you tie up the wonderful Katherine Legge as well it will save me & Timbo a fight and you get to qualify an Audi as well.

:lol: :lol:

No need. If you tie up the wonderful Katherine Legge as well it will save me & Timbo a fight and you get to qualify an Audi as well.

:lol: :lol:

Two questions :

Are pits like bike sheds for grown ups? :norty:

Any photographs of Susie & Kathy? :norty: :norty:

and if you find someone qualifying Wendy's corrado.. :norty:

Have you seen this months PVW? Theres a bit in there about the Toyo Tyres series, That looks like a good crack and not too pricey to get started. If I was thinking about getting involved i'd def be looking further at that first.. Good luck Wendy, sounds like fun!

[quote name="corozinIf you tie up the wonderful Katherine Legge as well it will save me & Timbo a fight and you get to qualify an Audi as well.

:lol: :lol:[/quote]

Two questions :

Are pits like bike sheds for grown ups? :norty:

Any photographs of Susie & Kathy? :norty: :norty:

a) If you don't know then you're not grown up enough to be told

b) You can google, but Susie Stoddart is (depending on your view of these things) probably the more ornamental, and the more successful driver. Personally I think KL looks like a guest from the Jeremy Kyle show but it's all subjective innit.

Wendy of course is a faster driver, better company, better cook, better looking and more competitive than either of them. By the way those statements are unrelated to the fact that she can punch really hard if you say bad things about either her or her driving, LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll expect full reportage of progress - presumably there's a league table?

So Wendy, will there be a daily C and a track C with John as Tech Dir?

[quote="corozin

Yes there is a mandatory safety briefing at the Autometrix Day. You aren't allowed on track unless you attend it. Normal trackday rules; passing only allowed on the right & by consent; no overtaking in the braking zones & corners, no aggressive behaviour, monitoring/warning & blag flagging by the marshals if you break the rules etc.

Frankly if you're slightly concerned about being on track with the others, I suggest you try to line up at the back of the line, or alternatively pull over & let everyone pass you on the way out to the track, give them some time to get clear, and then go out onto an empty track. The fastest Corrados will take at least 1m30s to come around so you have plenty of time.

You'll enjoy the clear track far more IMHO, and take things at your own (undoubtedly excessive) pace. If you do catch anyone they'll pull over to the right and let you pass if they've followed the rules. Most common overtaking spots at Combe trackdays are (1) main straight between Camp & Folly (2) between Quarry & the Esses (3) between Bobbies & Camp (although that one takes a bit of confidence even if you're being let past). If you have monster brakes and the confidence necessary you can also overtake (4) over the Avon Rise into Quarry and (5) from Hammerdown into Tower :cuckoo:

Are you really doing the Autometrix session then Wendy?

John - are you sure they are giving full Safety Briefing etc for this session ?

I am not doing the Full or even Half Day Track Day - just the Session that Eric has booked - hence my question.

I am thinking some wires may have got crossed here.

that is exciting.

this is something I want to explore,to be involved in some form of competition.

:)

Good luck and keep us posted.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll expect full reportage of progress - presumably there's a league table?

So Wendy, will there be a daily C and a track C with John as Tech Dir?

Daily C only, Personally I do not believe a Corrado is the best Track going vehicle and I also would not want to wreck a Corrado on Track.

Have just received all the Race Licence information, so next I need to look at which Race Series i might like to do.

It will be something cheap - so much to learn, I think there will be some transition from Track Driving to Racing.

John as Tech Director - Technicial on what exactly ? Castle Coombe ?

John - are you sure they are giving full Safety Briefing etc for this session ?

I am not doing the Full or even Half Day Track Day - just the Session that Eric has booked - hence my question.

I am thinking some wires may have got crossed here.

If you go out for even a single formal track session they'll insist on both a driver briefing and scrutineering/sound check. It's an insurance condition.

The time we went out 3 years ago were parade laps, and thus exempt.