Sign in to follow this  
Oliver2

Steering column(same old, same old)

Hey guys, I'm having play at the top end of my adjustable steering column like alot of you and after looking through all the posts what is the best option, bear in mind I'm mechanically useless and the polo column looks like a bit of a pain in the arse....although worth it by the sound of it. Is there are fixed column from the earlier raddos that will fit my 96 VR6 and is more compatible than converting the polo column. Or any other solutions...... Cheers Oli

the fixed column shaft from the early 16v/late 8v is exactly the same as the polo column (if you can find one)

it's not a difficult job, you just need to buy the Corrado fixed column tube new from VW and then find a complete polo column to nick the shaft from rather than buying the shaft new.

The worst bit is drilling the shear bolts out, and you'll have to do that even if you fit another adjustable Corrado one.

Even if you have to drill out a hole in the steering lock to release the polo lock (if you want to keep your old Corrado ign key) it's still and easy job really

Hi guys anyone who converted their adjustable corrado column to the one Davidwort did in his write up know the parts number for the polo column they used? The only second hand ones I can find have the intergrated UJ which is the wrong type so I might just have to but it new. Any help will be much appreciated. Cheers Oli

It's a 535 part iirc - get your dealer to simply look at the Corrado diagram for non adjustable - the column part is about £70 and the housing is about £30 - the rest of it's fairly cheap...

I'd keep looking for 6N polo's though - you will find one with the right bit!

Hiya, yeah I've just looked at it too... £82 though according to ETOS

On the polo it's fitted up to the end of the V chassis number then it changes to the built in UJ from W onwards...

So basically you are looking for a 95-97 Polo (6N) - N,M,P,R and maybe some S reg's

Awesome thanks for your help I'll ask a few few more scrappies then but thats not too bad new compared to a new corrado adjustable one! :cuckoo:

Hey guys I'm finally going to attempt to do this Polo column replacement and have just one more question! Sorry!

Is it worth replacing the Corrado Column to rack UJ as well? As it seems I might as well if I'm going to do this, as I don't want to replace it all and then connect it with a 15 year old part? or do they not wear to badly? If so, anyone got the part number? Its a late corrado so guess its the 22 teeth matching one?

Had no luck finding second hand Polo column so am going to go into dealers with this list kindly put together by David:

535 419 563 - lock housing (CORRADO fixed column,mounting tube)

polo column (1995-2000 separately bolted on UJ) - 535 419 503H

lock barrel - 357 905 851D

(same as polo 95-00, mk3 golf and passat 88-96)

late dash upper trim 535 953 515 B

late dash lower trim 535 953 516 B

bolts to replace shear bolts from original corrado column, 2 mounting and one on lock barrel

two: M8x22

- VW part no. N0147091

a new ignition switch from VW if you haven't replaced the original Corrado one before

- 6N0 905 865

Look about right?? Getting my GF's old man is going to help me out as he's a mechanic and I wouldn't know where to start, so just getting the parts together.... Cheers guys

you will also need the longer spring on the bottom of the column,still available, you might as well get the bearing that pushes into the column (£7) haven't got the part numbers, but i have ordered them !

I have what can only be called excessive play in the lower uj,over time the pinch bolt worked loose and weared the splines down slightly ! I tightened the bolt up as much as humanely possible, this has taken most of the slack out ,but not all ! I will be replacing my column and lower uj in a couple of weeks,havent got a part number for lower uj yet,but my parts guy is quite friendly,and lets me look through etka with him,

read on here somewhere, that the lower uj is in the region of £150 !

if its not broke dont fix it

Arr... good point, I assumed the column would come with the spring but I guess if its the Polo column with a seperate UJ it wont!!! Suddenly seeing why Davids write up suggested a second hand column, would be alot less hassle and cheaper. Yer I've got copy of ETKA so I'll give it a look and see if I kind find the part numbers for the spring and bearings... Could do with a proper list of parts for people buying from new.

Merged threads. Can you stick to one thread please - no need to start a new thread every there's a new question on the topic.

Cheers.