Sign in to follow this  
GivemeaVR

VR6 Idling issues

Having a few problems on my 1994 VR. on 90k miles

Started stalling a week ago at junctions and when changing gear the revs would fall so fast it would cut out if you didnt change quick enough.

Changed the plugs which made the car run better but would still cut out as above.

Changed the ignition leads but it made no difference so took them back off as they were really bad quality and put my old ones back on.

Unplugged the idle valve and this stopped it stalling so replaced the idle valve and this has stopped the revs falling so quick and can now be driven normally except now at idle it has a slight misfire and can sometimes still stall at junctions but nowhere near as bad as before. Also the idle speed is a little low.

Had the car hooked up to VAG COM tonight and it threw up the fault code from when i had the valve unplugged but nothing else apart from that.

Cleared the fault code a re ran the car and it never came back.

The ignition leads i put back on the car are about 16 months old and were from ECP so 'quite' good quality.

What is the next port of call to check?

I was thinking either the leads need replacing or one is not on quite right which would cause the slight misfire, low idle speed and occasional stall.

A few friends who have had VR's say they go through ignition leads at a yearly rate?

Apart from this the car flies and pulls really strong with no misfires apart from at idle.

Sorry to be long winded but its doing my head in now.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks