Sign in to follow this  
voo51

What are these in my 9a egine?

Im just learning about engines and wondered if anyone could tell me what these bits pictured are? Sorry if they are obvious things, but as I say, I am just learning!

Oh and it is just the rusty looking metal bits I am after the names of!

From the top:

ABS pump and distribution block

Oil cooler/ filter mount

Silver thing is something to do with the ignition I believe? :confused4:

Silver thing by the coil is the ignition amplifier. It's by the ecu for the KR. The bit behind it is the coil, which provides the spark for the plugs.

The two parts poking out the top of the filter bracket are the oil pressure switches, these sometimes leak, so it's best to keep an eye on them.

Thankyou. Is the ABS pump the black cylinder on it's own or the whole meatl bit contected to it and the black cylinder? or is the distribution block the bit underneath with all the rusty plugs?

Is the oil cooler the black cylinder and the big metal bit the mount?

Thankyou. Is the ABS pump the black cylinder on it's own or the whole meatl bit contected to it and the black cylinder? or is the distribution block the bit underneath with all the rusty plugs?

Is the oil cooler the black cylinder and the big metal bit the mount?

ABS pump is the black cylinder and the metal part next to it that it connects to? The distribution bit of the pump is the bit where the tubes connect?

I believe all 4 cylinder cars use the same ABS pump whilst the VR6 had a different one. 6 tubes going into it instead of the 4 tubes on yours.

The big black cylinder is the oil filter. Sometimes it's orange in colour. Depends who makes it. I guess the big metal bit it connects to is the oil cooler/filter mount.

The oil cooler is the aluminium cube with the water pipes attached to it, it is screwed up between the filter, and the bracket.

There is a pipe through the centre with a thread on the outside that the filter screws onto. There's also a nut around this to hold the cooler in place. The cooler has a rubber oring around the top to form a seal.

Oil passes through holes in the cooler, which has pipework inside it with coolant being pumped through, and into the filter, it then passes back up through the central pipe and into the oilways... Or it goes the other way round, down the pipe, through the filter, up out through the cooler... I can never be sure... :)

buy a pink haynes for a passat, thats what I use for mechanical stuff, only one I found with a 9a

or a the Volkswagon Corrado Official repair manual basically the corrado bible, but yeah costs an arm and a leg....

Not if you quick in the sale section and grab one for half price :grin:

or a the Volkswagon Corrado Official repair manual basically the corrado bible, but yeah costs an arm and a leg....

The Bentley doesn't cover the 16V's though unfortunately as they didn't get them in the US

Wonder if it's worth looking for a Bentley for the equivilant Passat in the US which DID get the 9A engine...?