Sign in to follow this  
mikkijayne

Pictures of a VR6 steering rack?

Hi everyone,

Does our VR6 have a different steering rack to the 16V / G60? I know the US models have the TRW and ZF racks, but I've never taken a VR6 to bits so I have no idea if we have both types as well :?

If we did get the ZF racks does anyone have a pic of it please?

Thanks, Mikki x

Yeah, they are different, I've got a VR and a 16V rack at home, I'll try to get pics for you tomorrow. Would part numbers be any use?

Pics would be fab thanks. If you have part numbers to hand they would be useful to identify what years and models they are from, but no worries if not.

Mikki x

Corrado VR racks are the alloy cased type with the webbing strengthening to the body, the 4 cylinder Corrado ones are the smooth steel tube bodied ones.

However, I bought a golf3 VR rack and although it had the plus axle track rods attached, it is identical to the 4 cylinder racks, looked exactly the same as my 1990 16v rack too, if you removed the track rods and discount the early 16v 36 spline input - I've got a late 22 spline UJ to go with the golf VR rack.

Cool so our VR racks are the same as the US one then. Does it have the two pipes going in to the body like the 16V one does, or are they somewhere else?

Bumpity bump!

Pretty please with chocolate sprinkles can I have a pic of the rack?

:worthless:

It doesn't even need to be out of the car - just a pic down the back of the engine would be fine. I need to see where the hard-lines go in to the body of the rack compared to the TRW one.

Thanks guys :turn-l:

Hi mikki,

Remember also that if you fit the ZF VR rack your also gonna need to change the PS pump/lines and fit the corrisponding ZF pump as the lines and attachments are different to the TRW equipped 'raddos.

The ZF track rod arms are also longer and some of the TRW versions have a small lip machined on the threaded end were the arms screw into the rack,the ZF rack's gaitors are also bigger in diameter to the TRW G60 rack's versions as the VR's steering arms are slightly bigger in diameter.

Remember to use strong locktite thread lock when replacing the arms,i've bolted up the G60 (shorter) arms without any problems so far.

I did this on my 'raddo a few years back and it was a good mod,seeing as i got all the parts for free!..

I can't help with the photos as with a 3 inch exhaust going over the rack there's no room.

Thanks for the info :) PS lines are no problem as they'll all be custom anyway, and I'll probably run the complete VR setup with wishbones etc.

The main thing I'm interested in knowing is where the hydraulic lines are fitted to the rack. The TRW has one coming out right in the middle of the rack which is in the way of the bellhousing. I'm hoping the ZF rack has it somewhere else, hence why I need a pic, but if anyone can give me a description that would be equally useful ;)

On my corrado the in/outlets of the high press. pipes on the VR6 ZF rack are positioned

on the righthand side of the rack,opposite the steering rack's pinion that's connected to

the steering colom's uj's.

The pipe unions don't go near the gearbox bell housing,at least not on the Corrado model.

Cheers.

Sorry I read my post back and realised I wasn't at all clear about what I'm looking for :roll:

Here's a TRW rack:

rack.JPG

What I'd like to know is if the RHD ZF rack has the two pipes arrowed in red in the same place please?

The middle one is right in the way of my bellhousing for the V8, and if the ZF one has it somewhere else I can move the engine back another 1/2".

Oh,now i get you.

Unfortunatly the two pipes you refer to in the picture are in the same place on the ZF rack aswell.

The only thing to do would maybe bend the pipes? or get two 90degree fittings made up and re-route

the pipes lower?.

V8 sounds very interesting..when you've finished bi-turbo the bugger :D.

Oh $hit,forget my advice,even after 23years of living a different country i still forget that my car is a damm LHD and the British rides are RHD...

Thanks :) Thats all I need to know! I can modify my TRW now instead of searching for a ZF :wink:

I will either cut it off and weld it back on the other side, or machine it flat and use a banjo bolt.

The V8 is being built with provision for forced induction at a later date, but not how you might expect... 8)

Mikki,remember that i was refering to a LHD steering rack!,my fault as i always forget that your versions are RHD.

So what i said will probably be no good to you :(

The V8 is being built with provision for forced induction at a later date, but not how you might expect... 8)

Time to break your "vortex cover" Mikkijayne... tis an awesome project! :ignore:

How do you mean 'break cover'? I've been thinking about a project thread on here, but I can't see anywhere suitable, since this project covers all five headings in the technical section. I suppose it could go in the Gallery section? I am working on a web site for the project too, but thats still 'under construction'...

haha been following off an on your adventures on Vortex as have a few others I know...

The Gallery seems an excellent place to document a great build... :)