Sign in to follow this  
sonia16v

idling at 1500 rpm??

my car's idling at 1500, if i pull the throttle peddle up when stationary the rev's drop to 1000 rpm. anyone had the same??? any ideas whyit's doing this?

Have a search for ISV - the Idle valve may need cleaning out...

Or, If you are actually having to pull the pedal up then the throttle cable maybe to tight and not switching the ISV on??

The isv highlighted in the photo. (nicked from another thread)

Doesn't sound like this is the fault though.

More like your throttle pedal isn't returning to idle position.

Take off the plastic trim surrounding the pedals and spray white grease over the various linkages whilst working the pedals up and down.

A similar problem on mine meant that the pedal stuck down when I booted it.

Not too pleasant when burning round the back roads!

White grease fixed it. :)

That picture looks familiar.. I remeber doin that in photoshop! :)

on top of the engine where the throttle cable is attatched there is a semi-circular bit of metal that you can rev the engine with and it touches a little red switch that turns on the isv at idle (as far as i understand) (sorry if this is a little confusing-i dont know the correct terminology??)

is there any way to adjust the spring so it has more pressure to pull the cable and therefore touch the switch??

is there any way to adjust the spring so it has more pressure to pull the cable and therefore touch the switch??

Not as far as I know, BUT there's a way to adjust the cable so that the spring will pull the cable closer and let the switch be pressed... :wink:

If you look where the cable is attached to the bracket just off the "bunch of bananas" (inlet manifold!) there's a metal clip that goes onto a series of ridges on the sheath of the cable... Adjust this so that the actual cable is just getting tight before the throttle (semi-circular bit of metal) starts to move. This should give you a perfect idle position for the throttle cable... If you find that you've adjusted it and it needs doing again not long after, you need a new throttle cable... :? :roll:

cheers henny will have a look tomorrow!

its actually on soz`s car-she`s me bird!!

i think it idle`s at 1500 because that switch isn`t being touched- oh and it had a new throttle cable just over a year ago becose it was doing the same thing

surely it wont need another ( although i wouldnt be surprised knowing corrado`s!!! )

surely it wont need another ( although i wouldnt be surprised knowing corrado`s!!! )

Probably not, it should just need setting up... 8)

Have a can of WD40 handy to spray down the cable sheath when you un-clip it to help with the lubrication of the cable... White grease is much better, but WD will do for a short term fix... 8)