Sign in to follow this  
jimmyvwjunkie

what to do? pas

right recently had my subframe and steering rack off, its all refitted so whats the best bet with the power steering because i have replaced all the hydrolic fluid and tried to steer the car. seems to be making loads of noise from the pump. any suggestions??? :o

Did you empty out all of the old fluid and change, or just top up? If the former then you'll probably need to bleed it. Other than that you may need to adjust the tensioner, or the pumps fudged..is it a whiney noise?

you need to turn the steering from lock to lock, preferably with the wheels off the ground until all the bubbles/trapped air in the rack have worked their way out and it goes quiet.

If you do this 10 or so times and it still makes a noise it may be that the pressure relief valve in the pump is stuck, they can sometimes be freed off by dismantling and cleaning, but it's only really posponing a new pump.

Did you empty out all of the old fluid and change, or just top up? If the former then you'll probably need to bleed it. Other than that you may need to adjust the tensioner, or the pumps fudged..is it a whiney noise?

yup its a whiney noise.

but cheers guys for the info. i tried going full lock left then right but made no difference after like 10-15 trys :(

Did you let the pmp run dry? if so it's probably shot - you need to prime by hand before starting up...

I would take it for a drive if it's not too bad to steer and do some figure of 8's in a car park... 15 trys should be ok if it was primed ok first but if not it may take a while to work the air out of the system.

Dont panic though - you might find it sorts itself out over a week of driving.

Did you let the pmp run dry? if so it's probably shot - you need to prime by hand before starting up...

I would take it for a drive if it's not too bad to steer and do some figure of 8's in a car park... 15 trys should be ok if it was primed ok first but if not it may take a while to work the air out of the system.

Dont panic though - you might find it sorts itself out over a week of driving.

prime it by hand??? i will give it another bash but not very hopeful

Yeah, belt off and turn it by hand a few times to get the new fluid moving before starting up...

If it feels ok to steer - ie you have fluid and it's working then I would just do the car park thing - hopefully sort itself out.