Sign in to follow this  
waynos

question about cooling

got the 1.8t installed at last and it starts and runs fine. However once up to temp and the thermostat opened, the coolant level starts to rise out of the expansion tank. Thing is the car isnt over heating (sat at just above 90 on the temp gauge). first thought was an airlock but i thought all the air was out.

Another thing is my fan didnt cut in but once i turned the engine off it did? strange. Topped up the coolant and started the car again.it got up to temp again and all was normal, my dad flicked the fan and it started spinning as if it was stuck (so i know i probably need a new fan and possibly new rad fan switch)

Would the fan not cutting in cause the coolant to start rising up out the expansion tank? i know that sounds a bit daft but the engine isnt overheating

Might be worth checking the seal on the expansion tank cap?

Had the same problem of the coolant gushing out on mine after flushing and putting some new stuff in.

I'd crimped the rubber seal while taking it on and off, causing a lack of a seal under pressure.

Hope its as simple as that. :shrug:

it think you are right jay,ive got the cap in front of me and was looking at it for ages. Didnt seem to be broken until i clocked that the rubber o- ring has dislodged itself out its groove. so my coolant system wasnt fully sealed. Going to get a new blue one tommorow as i have the black one and have heard they are poopty.

:clap:

Aye, had me and mates baffled, took it to the local garage and they too were baffled until he suddenly thought to pressure check the cap, turned out it was only a small crimp but enough to not seal fully. Changed mine for a blue one and had no problems since. :salute:

damn ive had this happen too me, went down the breakers and whipped off a blue one and that sorted it, hope thats the problem, whats up with the fan, wd40 :shrug: or is it just shagged. oh yeah wayne mines fully in primer at mo and for some unknown reason im sorting the interior out. i think youve inspired me :nuts:

sweet! yea i think the fan has had it, makes a bit of a noise like its catching something when it rotates. When it doesnt come on my dad flicked it and it started turning lol.will get a new 1 today , not taking any risks.Firecracker you need to send me some pics mate!

lil update, whacked a new cap on and my coolant stays in the system rather than on my clean bay! also got a new fan that actually works too.happy days