Sign in to follow this  
Gangstarr

power steering not working

My power steering isnt working when ime going round corners it squeals realy loud and parking up is a nightmare . Is there a tensioner that goes onto the power steering belt , is it a part you can buy easily any pics advice more than welcome .

Its a 1.8 16v corrado its pissing me off that much thinking about selling her & upgrading to something new like an s3 ..........

I had a squeaky belt on mine when it was first delviered (so very almost no power steering), VW sold me the wrong belt but the mechanic was able to just tighten the current one so it must be possible (perhaps the pump is movable?).

The belt is only a few £ from VW anyway.

Adjust the angle of the alternator to take up the slack on the belt. That ought to stop the squealing, and turn your PAS pump??

Ile give it a bash ive just had a new head put on and it didnt squeel before it will have to be tommorow now gotta get shower and get to pub to watch leeds kick darlingtons ass .....

On the KR 1.8 16v the alternator and steering pump are independent of each other. Looking from underneath the car at the PSP it is surrounded by brackets and bolts in generally confusing array. By poking around you should be able to identify the adjustment bolt, it is on a bracket on the wheel side of the pump and is exposed for it’s full length. It runs through another bolt at right angles to it.

There is also a long bolt which iirc is a bit of a bu**er to get at which is the top swivel and two other bolts on the bottom of the pump which need loosening as well.

Spray the whole lot with WD40 or the like, have a break, loosen the top swivel and bottom bolts, no need to remove them completely.

Loosen the nut and bolt on the adjustment arm and then turn the adjustment bolt to loosen tighten the drive belt.

It’s been a long time since I done this and don’t take it as gospel. Things will be tight and reluctant to move but patience will out in the end.

PS Check that the belt is loose/worn before starting. If the bottom of the pulley that the belt runs in is shiney it a reasonable sign that the belt is worn out.

I ended up taking it to vw garage as its next door to my work £49 for a new belt & they adjusted the tensioner and even give her a wash . Feels like a different car to drive such a heavy lump of a car