Sign in to follow this  
Jay16valver

Help needed, ignition timing on a 9a 16v

HI all

ive recently fitted a new distributor on my 2.0 9a 16v, i came to find the timing marks on the flywheel and i could only find the mark for 0 tdc, i turned and cleaned the flywheel and could not find a mark for 6 degrees :confused4: , does anybody know how many teeth 6 degrees is before the 0 tdc mark???

any help would be grateful :clap:

thanks Jay

hi ive turn the flywheel both ways passed 0 tdc abt 8 teeth worth and could not find any signs of a mark for 6 deg, i even gave the flywheel a good clean both ways passed 0 tdc and stil no sign :shrug:

Maybe replacement flywheel as these don't come with the 6 degree mark I think...

Best way to check is to use a timing gun with advance, set it to 6 and look for 1 mark then set it to 0 and try and find the other - that way you know you are not set to 0 or 12 degrees

When you know you are at 6 then take it for a drive, stick some decent fuel in it and maybe try a bit of advance... also well worth taking to Stealth to get the WUR mod done and setup on the rollers!

...also well worth taking to Stealth to get the WUR mod done and setup on the rollers!

9A's don't have a warm up regulator though Steve

Hi thanks for the info :D , i was thinking of taking it to stealth for there tune up/remap and was wondering what expecting do they do to your engine and what sort of gains should i expect for my money???

Hi thanks for the info :D , i was thinking of taking it to stealth for there tune up/remap and was wondering what expecting do they do to your engine and what sort of gains should i expect for my money???

Worth calling them and asking if they still remap 2L 16v 9A engines.

In any case it wouldn't harm to give it a once over and a rolling road session just to make sure everything is working as it should, don't expect miracles, but if they will still remap them and/or there are other issues that need sorting it would make it run much sweeter.

ive rang stealth up and they said they still sort of remap/tune up 9a 16v, he said its £200 because the gains arent huge like on modern turbo engines which i wasnt expecting anywhere but he did say your car wil be more powerful and smoother to drive so i best start saving lol

when i used to tune classic cars we would get the fuelling right then on the rollers get max power/rpm in 3rd gear while turning the distributer to gain maximum bhp then lock the dizy off. Get the new timing with the gun and our done we got big gains fom this and most of the time the standard ignition timing was no where near stock.

i suspect stealth will do the same.