Sign in to follow this  
k1r4n

someone out there please help me!!!!!!!

cheers for all the help guys ive isolated the issue turned out it was metal part of the belt cover (inner belt cover)

did you adjust the cam belt tensioner up over or down over...? as you should rotate the tensioner clockwise to clear the covers?

If you take the top timing cover off does it stop?

makes no difference at all, i installed the tensioner clockwise.

this is such a random thing. i did have no powersteering fluid in my car at some point put since was filled and air bubbles removed. the noise doesn't change with steering only with revs

could it be anything to do with headgasket at all, just wanted to eliminate this as was quite worried. i don't see how though

i'm gonna give that a go in the morning. a mechanic friend though it was alternator but never had time to look at it

if it is on the aux belt then is it alternator and power steering pump can be only issues or is there others?

it will be something on the aux side,pull the belt off and spin each pully,alternator etc and it should show up if the noise stops once the blts is off that is.. :lol: but if its still the same pull all covers off incuding the cam belt covers and go through what you did,have a good look at covers for any sign on rubbing etc.

Did you use a pattern or genuine VW belt? Pattern belts can make some astonishingly awful noises, especially in this damp / moist weather we've having..

I've repeated this story a few times but I had my old G60 in for a service at Stealth and they took off the old VW belt it had on and fitted a new (pattern) belt. It was fine on the drive home but the following morning I started it up and JESUS H it sounded like something was really wrong with it - I was thinking it was the charger going or something. Got on the forum and someone suggested the belt, and to stick a little talcum powder on it and see if it shut it up. Needless to say it did.

I wouldn't have thought the noise could just be belt noise from rubber on a pulley but it sounded like an awful grinding metal noise which is why I bring this up.

Only solution was to ditch the pattern belt and fit a genuine VAG one - nice and silent again as soon as it was fitted.

hey guys i'm gonna try the aux belt off and the powder ideas. my belt is a pattern one but the thing is it made this noise on the old belt and the new one.

who would've thought powder mite solve this lol

its the timing belt rubbing on the inner timing belt cover (its a metal piece on the inside, it has a little attachment on it)

rip it off and you shouldnt hear it anymore. =-)

take a look at your timing belt, it should be worn on the inside portion of it