Sign in to follow this  
Johnkerry

Cam Belt +

Hi, Ive been putting my car ( G60 ) back together after trying to find out whats causing the pinking. I put the new crank pulley bolt in and the cam belt on and everything else turned the key and to my amasement it started first time :D but i had a squeeking coming from somewhere, as i lent over the engine to see where it was coming from a spanner fell out of my top pocket landed on the cambelt and put holes in it all the way round :censored: what more can i say im cursed. but i got all the parts to do it again i just have a few questions before i start.

Do i really need the timming belt tensioner tool ?

How tight does the timimg belt need to be ?

Which way should the timing belt tensioner be turned to tighten the belt clockwise or anti clockwise ?

Also not related to this problem but can anyone tell me how much a new set of injectors will set me back ?

Thanks.

Questions questions..... :tongue:

A tool to turn the tensioner would be good but have seen many folks jam a big screwdriver in to lever, then tensioner accross......i would use the proper tool.

Rule of thumb is if you fit the belt (give a few rotations to settle) and then twist the belt at its longest point, cam to main idler pully.... it should be able to twist between 90- 180 deg with reasonable force,any more than 180deg is to slack.

and its clockwise,othe way would work but the lower cover would foul when you try to fit it.

hope that helps :wink:

I made up a tool for the tensioner by getting a scrap piece of steel bar and putting two pop rivets in it at the right spacing. Drill the bar with the proper size bit for the rivets at the same spacing as the holes in the tensioner. Put the rivets in and tighten them till just before they snap off, or feel tight enough, then cut the shank off (the bit that fits in the pop riveters jaws) leaving about half an inch ir so protuding. It's strong enough to get the right tension on the belt, only takes five minutes and saves a couple of quid.

Thanks fella`s the first time i fitted the timing belt i turned the tensioner by using an alan key by putting the short end in the hole in the tensioner and turning it on the stud, that seemed to work okay but not sure how tight that was, ill make a tool myself.

Any idea on the price of the injectors and what would be a fare price to pay for a used ECU ?

And can you change the chip in an ECU yourself ?

For the sake of a fiver you might as well buy the tool although as above it's nothing special and can be copied or you can just use circlips pliers on 8v engines, it's only the 16V / 20V engines with the auto-tensioner that require the proper tool.

Injectors are £80 from VW but £60ish from a Bosch dealer.

G60 ECU's go for around £60 usually and the chip is easy enough to change as it just sits in a socket - not soldered to the board.