Sign in to follow this  
mr_ed

No hot air - new matrix

I changed my heater matrix last week and today i actually got round to flushing the coolant and connecting the hoses back to the matrix but no hot air :cuckoo:

I drained the original coolant and after i had flushed it I poured coolant through a funnel into the matrix pipe untill it was running out the other pipe, then connected the hoses back up and ran the engine till it was hot.

I had no hot air in the car and when i felt the pipes coming out of the matrix, one was hot and the other was stone cold.

What have i done now, i usually fcuk something up when i do a job!

on the 2 pipes coming out of the heater matrix there should two metal valves with a pipe between them?

the idea is if the matrix blocked the valves would open and let the water bypass the matrix but still circulate thro the engine ,not all corrados have these it was a recall.

i had the same with mine is was one of the valves nackered.

I dont think so, one of the pipes comes from the top of the engine into the matrix (which is hot) & the other goes to the bottom of the engine (which is cold). Could i do damage if i run the car like this?

no you wont do any damage i havnt got the valves on mine! have you checked the thermostat is opening when hot?

Ahh no isn't there a cable operated valve somewhere between the engine and bulkhead? Or was that on a Mk1 Golf :scratch: ? I haven't seen a normal/complete Corrado engine bay for some time!

You say you refilled the matrix, did you refill the whole system, could simply be an airlock. Just a thought.

Air lock :nuts:

Had a play with it today, squeezed a few things and left it running with the cap off and tis all better now. Panic over!

Ed

How do you get rid of an airlock??

I think there is an airlock in mines and have ran it with the cap off but made no difference