Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

High idel

The last couple of days I have started the car and the idel would start off in the right place but slowy work its way up to 2K rpm

after I have been moving for a minet or two its sorts it self out.

Should I be worryed or not?

How would I do this.

I've done a search but there is not realy a dumys guide of how to do it.

Take it off, fill it with brake cleaner/petrol......leave it for a while.......i left my old one overnight .....empty it out.......pop a wee screwdriver in the end to make sure the springy bit moves......possibly oil(i didn't).....and put it back together :D

I'll probably break something taking it off. Up until now I've just taken the hose off the front and sprayed cleaner into it.

I've read carb cleaner works to is that right????

yup :salute:

edit, i think i had a tin of brake and carb cleaner :lol:

Carb cleaner is perfect. Leave to soak and then put your thumbs over the holes and give it a good shake. Let the carb cleaner drain out and then give it another load of carb cleaner to get any dirt remnants out. As easypops said, make sure the flap opens smoothly.

Give it a quick spray with some PTFE lube such as 3 in 1.

Prob worth cleaning up the electrical plug with some contact cleaner/emery board.

I gave the ISV a good clean with carbcleaner over the weekend but still have the same problem. Cleaning it hasnt realy done anything to it

Any other suggestions :scratch:

It only happens what the car hasnt been moved for a while ie over night or between starting and finishing work.

MAF either dirty or on its way out.

It's a 16v...

:lol:

Check all the breather/vac hoses for fitment/splits etc. Look underneath them etc- be thorough! If you've been mucking around with the airbox, you could easily have knocked a vac hose loose. Had a very strange idle on my first 16v- turned out one of the hoses to the ISV had a tiny split underneath.

Check all the breather/vac hoses for fitment/splits etc. Look underneath them etc- be thorough! If you've been mucking around with the airbox, you could easily have knocked a vac hose loose. Had a very strange idle on my first 16v- turned out one of the hoses to the ISV had a tiny split underneath.

Right ok will have a look in a second

Thanks once again :D