Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Ventilation problem

One of the small niggles with my new pride and joy is with the ventilation system.

I can turn the knob to three of the four positions - windscreen, footwell, footwell plus dashboard vents BUT not the dashboard vents on their own.

Is this a known problem with a straightforward fix or "just one of those things"?

Remind me is the knob position for the dash vents furthest right?

Does the knob just not engage the position even with a little force?

The selector knob when turned pushes or pulls (depending which way you turn it) a cable which in turn moved the mechanism to direct the air. The cables with ages gets worn and hard to move. Would be worth taking the heater controls out and taking a look at the cables. Dont force the knob as it will snap the peg it sits on - going from experience.

The 3 knobs are left for the direction, middle for heat, right for speed.

The direction knob is stiff to turn from the Windscreen (11 o'clock) but goes to Footwell (7 o'clock) and Footwell/Dashboard Vents (5 o'clock) but doesn't want to go to Dashboard vents only (2 o'clock)

Don't want to force it and break anything and get it stuck on either of the last two as these are effectively the least useful.

It works on Windscreen just fine which is the most important.

Thanks for your response. :notworthy:

The 3 knobs are left for the direction, middle for heat, right for speed.

:lol: i knew that, sorry i might not have been clear

The direction knob is stiff to turn from the Windscreen (11 o'clock) but goes to Footwell (7 o'clock) and Footwell/Dashboard Vents (5 o'clock) but doesn't want to go to Dashboard vents only (2 o'clock)

Don't want to force it and break anything and get it stuck on either of the last two as these are effectively the least useful.

It works on Windscreen just fine which is the most important.

Thanks for your response. :notworthy:

As long as youre not trying to change the direction when the fan is on full as it makes it hard to turn for some reason and can break.

If you're not, then definately check the cables. I've just changed the 2 cables at a cost of about £20 for both. This was after breaking the cog mechanism in the heater controls and cost me £40 for a second hand one off here. They can be fiddly to hook on and off the levers in the dash but other then that its fairly straight forward. It just means dismantling the centre dash to sort it.

I'm having the same problem, I managed to pick up the heater control unit from a local scrap yard for £3!! What a find! ... It had to be replaced as the cog had worn, what I found was a black cable wasn't functioning properly. The metal cable does not move freely in the plastic housing, as the others do. So guess I need a new cable.

I'm new to all this, is dismantling the centre dash a difficult job? Do you have any form of diagram or are you able to give me some instructions for doing so?

Thanks for any help you're able to give, Lee

Thats a good link.

JUst to let you know. One black cable leads round down the side of the dash instruments, sort of behind where the fog light switches are.

The other goes round to the drivers foot well side, then round the back and connects to a lever just behind the cubby hole of the centre console.

If that makes sense :lol:

Both cables can be a PITA to get them unhooked.

Excellent cheers for your help, that link should be a great help and yeah Critical_Mass ... I think that makes sense! happy0009.gif

I might be posting here again if I come across any problems, thanks again