Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

What does this part do?

1.JPG

the pipe was fraid and broke on the clip futhest away, i have cut it shorter and put two new clips on.

What does it do and would a broken pipe affect the performance of the car? I'm currently having sudden engine cut out issues whilst accelerating in 2nd every now and again.

i believe teh length of the vacuum pipe on the fpr is also important. Best bet to replace it with one of te same length as teh origianl, it'll only be about £1 from an auto factors.

if that pipe was split, could that be causing my car to cut out and die, then suddenly kick back in when accelerating, kinda like the engine is starved of fuel?

grrr i dont know the length, thrown the cut piece away, and it seems to be covered in fabric, and fraid at edges, not like its been perfectly cut?

does anyone else have a pic of theirs please?

That pipe is only about 2.5 or 3 inches long. Just enough to get to the inlet manifold. It's only under vacuum (unless the car has a blower) and as long as it doesn't let air in you will be fine. Those hose clips are more likely to do more damage than good. Small cable ties work well. Neil

That pipe is only about 2.5 or 3 inches long. Just enough to get to the inlet manifold. It's only under vacuum (unless the car has a blower) and as long as it doesn't let air in you will be fine. Those hose clips are more likely to do more damage than good. Small cable ties work well. Neil

any idea what would happen if air did get let in?

The Fuel Pressure Regulator is a basic switch. When the car is idling the vacuum generated in the inlet manifold pulls on a diaphragm in the FPR and reduces the fuel pressure at the injectors. When you open the throttle the vacuum collapses and the FPR gives the injectors full pressure. Don't need all that fuel when idling. If air is allowed to leak in that might allow the FPR to think the throttle is open and it will increase the fuel pressure. And run the engine rich at idle. It would have to be a big leak as there is an awful lot of 'suck' at idle! A simple test is to attach a fuel pressure guage at the other (left) end of the fuel rail and see what happens when the car is run and throttle opened. Off the top of my head 3 bar at idle and 4 bar at power. If pipework is good and there isn't any pressure change then FPR is knacked. Hope makes sense!! Neil

if that pipe was split, could that be causing my car to cut out and die, then suddenly kick back in when accelerating, kinda like the engine is starved of fuel?

grrr i dont know the length, thrown the cut piece away, and it seems to be covered in fabric, and fraid at edges, not like its been perfectly cut?

does anyone else have a pic of theirs please?

100MM