Sign in to follow this  
chris001

Changing the vr6 timing chain tensioner, when ???

Hi, im a bit new to corrado's and coul do with some info please.

My vr6 is on aprox 115,000 miles and i have no record in the service history of anything to do with the timing chain being done.

Just wonering at what milage/age should the tensioner be changed ? is there anything else that needs to be changed at the same time ?

also any idea how much parts would be ?

Any help much appriciated

cheers chris :D

When it start rattling is the best way to know if they need to be changed... :grin:

Here in Sweden I hear that around 180000km, but a VR6 can be driven 300000 befor the tensioner need to be changed.

All depends on services and oil quality.

Do you hear a rattling noise and decide to change the tensioners... change the chains also. They get a bit slack after a few hundred miles with bad tensioners...

hi, cheers for that. :)

its been serviced by vw nearly every time so would think they'd use good quality oil, thought it would say in the service book when it should be changed !

anyone else got any advice ??? :confused4:

Mine was on 110k and the tensioner was on its last legs when it was changed the other week. I can recomment DG autotech if you need them checking.

It won't be mentioned in the service book as the chains/tensioners were supposed to last the lifetime of the engine. It just turns out that there was a weakness with the tensioner pad which means it can wear out prematurely. Some cars seem to need them changing earlier than others.

When it start rattling is the best way to know if they need to be changed... :grin:

Here in Sweden I hear that around 180000km, but a VR6 can be driven 300000 befor the tensioner need to be changed.

Do you hear a rattling noise and decide to change the tensioners... change the chains also. They get a bit slack after a few hundred miles with bad tensioners...

this might sound daft but does the rattling eminate from a particular place, left - right etc?

my vr sounds a little tickety on 1st start of the day but as soon as the choke quites down, the revs drop & it goes away & sounds its normal smoothness

its done approx 106K, been well look after & serviced but a pointer would help my paranoid brain lol

this might sound daft but does the rattling eminate from a particular place, left - right etc?

my vr sounds a little tickety on 1st start of the day but as soon as the choke quites down, the revs drop & it goes away & sounds its normal smoothness

its done approx 106K, been well look after & serviced but a pointer would help my paranoid brain lol

The sound should be coming from the right side of the engine... It can maybe the hydraulic tensioner that is a bit weak or that its just some lifters that are clogged.

Buy some Hydraulic Valve Lifter cleaner and then try to start it Cold... The VR6 should make some noise but that is from the lifters not the chain.

The sound should be coming from the right side of the engine... It can maybe the hydraulic tensioner that is a bit weak or that its just some lifters that are clogged.

Buy some Hydraulic Valve Lifter cleaner and then try to start it Cold... The VR6 should make some noise but that is from the lifters not the chain.

thanks much appreciated!!

will give the cleaner a go & see if i can hear any difference :)