Sign in to follow this  
Lorns

Corrado overheating - everyone gone to a show and left me!!

I have an M reg 2.0 16v Corrado that is overheating.

In June it had a new thermostat, since then it has always got too hot for my liking but hadn't overheated. Thursday night the top radiator hose blew a hole. That was because the fan seized whilst I was in traffic and I'm assuming the pressure got too much and blew a hole. I have a new hose and new fan and motor fitted yesterday. Fan kicks in at about 90c. Thermostat is working cos the bottom hose is hot and letting the water through etc but yesterday it overheated twice.

I was up this morning at half 7 trying it again before Players but no joy.

Do you think there could be an air lock? I ran it til it reched temperature with the cap off to see if it wouldnt sort itselfbut it overheated again.

Someone told me to release the valve next to the radiator and if there is an air lock, then the air should come out of there.

Last I did with the car is took it out a moment a go and the fan was kicking in like normal, water temp was showing 90-100 and oil temp went up to 104.The water light didnt start flashing but its too hot for me to see if its kept its water or not.

Another thing is, when its overheated the water spilling out the header STINKS of fish..... is this water mixing with oil?? Have a got a possible head gasket problem?

I hope someone can help cos all the lads have p!ssed off to the show and left me completely on my own with a broken down car :(

Thanks in advance

Lorns

let it cool down and have a look under the oil filler cap, if its all gunked up with a brown mayonnaise like residue then youve got water mixing with your oil... which means head gasket failure! (bad times)

on the good side, it can be fixed, just depends how much you want to spend... i hope its not a head gasket and purely an airlock.

also replied to your post on e38, if you want to replace the header tank then here you go:

get yourself down to your local stealership and get the following:

mk4 header tank, part no: 1j0 121 403 b

tank plug: 1j0 973 202

tank cap: 3b0 121 321

all for a princely sum of no more then £22 iirc.

Thanks mate - I can see me scolding my hands and all sorts at this rate.

This is my second corrado with overheating problems. is it common - or is it just my bad luck?

Thanks mate - I can see me scolding my hands and all sorts at this rate.

This is my second corrado with overheating problems. is it common - or is it just my bad luck?

Bad luck.It happens.Especially in aged cars.

Not a Corrado problem as such.