Sign in to follow this  
lesarcsneil

2.0 16v idle switch/throttle potentiometer

Hi,

I have an intermittent stalling problem on my 2.0 16v and the likely suspect is the idle switch/throttle potentiometer on the throttle housing (the part containing the butterflies that you open with the accelerator cable).

I've measured the resistances as follows:

bottom to middle pin in idle: 60MOhm (that's right millions of Ohm not Ohms, this varies wildly every time you return the throttle back to idle)

bottom to middle pin with throttle open: infinity

bottom to top pin in idle: infinity

bottom to top pin with throttle open: infinity

I bought this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160359570273

There is a difference between this and the one already on the car, the ebay item has two switches on top, one for idle (bottom to middle pin on connector) and one for full throttle (bottom to top pin on connector). Both of these switches work correctly.

The one on the car has a single microswitch for idle and what looks like a potentiometer contained as a single assembly underneath the throttle body.

The part numbers are:

On car 051 063 AA (stamped on the throttle body)

Ebay 051 063 F (stamped on the throttle body)

I think that EKTA lists these as 051 133 063 K and AA respectively.

Can anyone tell me or measure the resistances that a working idle switch/throttle pot should have between the connector contacts. I'd assume that bottom->middle should be infinity with throttle open and zero at idle. I'd also assume that bottom->top would be variable resistance depending on throttle position?

I am reluctant to put the Ebay item on the car, not knowing what effect running with a full throttle microswitch will have on the ECU instead of a throttle position pot. It's also in a shocking state so would take a few hours cleaning before I'd even consider using it.

The throttle pot assembly is silly money at the stealers and no longer available according to the local outfit.

Cheers,

Neil

94 2.0 16v

I had the same problem and, as i remember from a long time ago, there is two different TB.

the one with two switches like KR engines and the pot style. i assume that they use also different style ecus.

the bottom line is that you dont need to buy the full TB at the dealer, just the potentiometer, replace and enjoy, and out of the top of my head, it was like 60 euros part.

I've had a quick look at EKTA, for later cars, chassis numbers F-50-N-013 000 and greater I need part number 048 133 154 'potentiometer' which retails at £107, I asked for one of these in the dealers a few weeks back and was quoted 'they're on back order' so they couldn't get me one anyway.

The earlier part containing the two switches has part number 051 133 093 A and looks to have a retail price around £50.

If someone can measure the resistances of a working potentiometer then I know what I'm looking for when I buy another second hand one.

Cheers,

Neil S

94 Flash Red 16v

I managed to get hold of a new throttle body with 'potentiometer' from someone breaking a car.

Bottom to middle pin controls the idle valve, measures around 2Ohm with the throttle closed, infinity with the throttle open.

Bottom to top pin controls full throttle enrichment, measures around 2Ohm with the throttle wide open, infinity with any other throttle position.

So the 'potentiometer' isn't, although it looks like one. It's simply 2 switches.

Neil

94 Flash Red 16v, running better now

sorry to bring up an old post, but i have a similar prob, where ive change the TB my old one had the two switches on the top, the new one has the module on the bottom, are they the same thing just different stles, and if so is the module ment to click when on full throttle.

Cheers

They both carry out the same purpose, the cheap one that I got from ebay had 2 individual microswitches on top, the second one that I got from a breakers had a single module underneath.

My 94 2.0 16v was originally fitted with the TB with the single module underneath so I was a little unsure about fitting a part that looked completely different. I also spent about an hour cleaning the internals of the replacement TB, this made a noticeable difference to throttle response.

Cheers,

Neil