Sign in to follow this  
VRev6

fuel pump dead! :-(

omg thats the worst...

on the same sort of note...does anyone think i should remove the fuel pump and see if its still pumping??

I'm thinking maybe it pumped through the dredges in my tank and blocked the injectors slightly...but that wouldn't stop the car completely i don't think.

How much is the cheapest pump+fuel sender...i'm geussing mine would be a pierburg...would GSF have one under £100? :roll:

had a real bad night tonight...i went to a cruise in milton keynes, left the car for 1hr atleast.

Came back to shoot off home at 10pm and car just wouldn't start. i had atleast 6of my mates pushing it accross the hockey stadium car park!

In the end i phoned the AA and surprise surprise...he said it was probably the fuel pump gone dead. It was ticking over, i even got a mate to drive to a petrol station and fill up a jiffy can to refill the car...had enough fuel and voltmeter inside the car showed 13V, no blown fuses...

I can't believe this car is costing me bucks in only 3months of buying it. :roll:

In MK again were yah :lol:

sorry to hear your badluck mate, hope you get it all sorted.. 8)

cheers mate...

I've sent you an email of the problems its caused me so far! now i'm thinking it really wasn't worth the £3000 asking price...let alone the £2800 i bought it for.

Hopefully next two weeks will be spent fixing all work at a cost of around £200-250.

Got your mail mate, sorry to hear your badluck!

all cars have there problems, but IMO it depends on how well looked after the cars been before etc..

Hope you get it all sorted mate :)

dubbprince, the 1.8 16v has 2 fuel pumps, a lift pump in the tank thats about £20-£30 from vw, if these go the car will usually start and idle badly so its probably not that.

The other pump is under the car near the back drivers side wheel, u should hear this prime when you turn the ignition on, if its dead ECP sell the genuine Bosch replacement for about £95.

thank god for that!

So joe...its not in the fuel tank like the above post says...keyhaywire writes it is.

So thats the pump noise i hear when i turn ignition on! Cos i can still hear it.

My car starts for literally 2seconds! then cuts out again...could it be the fuel filter then??

How would i test if its the pump near the tank in the back is working??

Kevs not wrong, hes talking about the vr6 pump which is a different setup and is all in the tank.

Im no expert on this but it still sounds to me like the main pump under the car is gubbed, when u turn the ignition on it may be working weakly so it does buzz and pressurize the system, but as soon as you start the car its too weak to supply enough fuel to keep it running. Dont know how you would test it for sure yourself though id imagine a garage could put a gauge on the fuel line to measure the flow or pressure. :?

thanks for ya help joe. I'm glad it isn't inside the tank, i'll have a look and see what i see.

How would i clean the lines if its blocked? i guess i'd need to reverse the pump and drag the cr-p back through.

or maybe i could put some cleaner stuff inside the fuel tank?? need a mechanics opinion..Chris aka mr CorradoNOS can you be of any help mate?

My mate said to dry the spark plugs...check oil and water...all seems fine to me so far. i'll have to find a way to check the lines for blockages..thats number1 on the list.

Basically car is being starved of fuel...

what i dont get is when i de-activate my toad alarm, i start the car..it runs for 2seconds and revs drop and it dies again...and as it does, the indicators flash once. Is the alarm doing this problem??

it is...i'm starting to think its the toad to be honest.

My car starts then cuts out! it has a spark and fuel pump is priming...i've been told to check my ISV, by turning the brass screw anti-clockwise a bit...then trying to start it.

I did that tonight and car just doesn't start...so must be dead battery now!

dubprince when my fuel pump went the car would start, then the idle would drop and it would stall. Also if I touched the throttle pedal it'd stall instantly. When I turned the ignition on I could hear the pump but it made a crapy noise. Also when traveling along the car would cut out then when trying to start it again, it would do the same thing for a while. I think I'm right in saying that it wouldnt do that if it had been the ISV as the engine was warmed up?

caiosG60..thanks for that, but my revs stay high while my foot is on the gas, but when i let go it dies on me.

Problems matching mine from past topics inc:

2 fuel pumps possibly dying.

relay for fuel pump or fuse.

Hall Effect sender in dizzy cap.

ISV needs cleaning.

5th injector or the cold start valve does not work.

Been told to check for fuel pressure first, then a spark, then ISV.

The alarm is a Toad Ai606.

Battery is dead now as i tried starting tonight and it wouldn't have it.

If i find out i have fuel when i remove the hose ont he air box. then pumps are fine, if i ground the plugs and get a spark, then plugs are ok.

If the brass screw idea works then ISV is also fine.

The 5th injector isn't much use anyway, but to make sure ISV is fully working i've noticed an old post saying i had to reverse water temp and ISV plugs round on the back of the engine near the gearbox.

ideas still welcome.

P.s does anyone know where any of the above stuff is..apart from Brass screw, and hall sender.

Need location of ISV, fuel pipe on air box, pumps, and which plug is which on back of engine.

Remember guys, it s 1.8 16v.

Thanks!!

Sanjay.

just took off the ISV now...it looks like a turbine one end and 2 pin plug connector the other.

I'll clean it and also try running it without it too.

Is it supposed to hum and slightly vibrate even when engines off?

I got the car started using my dads V6 to jump it...and it stays revving till i let go of the throttle cable.

I've tried to pull the brass screw as far out as possible and the ISV doesn't pick it up, so no idle.

In an hour i'll remove the back seats and see if the pump is priming inside the tank, which i was told it was inside the tank.

Could be the ISV then. Could also be the pedal position sensors? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a sensor on the pedal that tells the engine you're at zero throttle, so goes into idle mode.

since it may not be a fuel problem, its not the pump or relay...yet.

So i've made a new post called "16v leads need to go back on"

Please guys...the car has to start sooner or later.