Sign in to follow this  
Richardshoes

Outer CV Joint G60

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to knock the outer cv joint of the drive shaft as per the instructions in the bentley manual. Whacking it with an aluminium hammer hasn't budged it in the last hour of mad hammering.

There's a circlip holding the joint in place on the splined shaft, and I don't see how whacking it will get the joint past this inner circlip I can't see.

Does anyone have any suggestions or methods on how to split the joint from the driveshaft? Finding it quite frustrating :confused4:

Cheers.

Keep hitting it dude...

I assume you are trying to do it with the shaft in situ? - The only time I have managed this is on a ramp as you can't get enough force on the ground.

If you don't have any luck in the next 10 mins I would take the shaft off and stick in it in a vice = You can get a long spline tool do undo the bolts from the gearbox flange.

Didn't get it off. What size are the bolt heads for taking off the whole shaft at the flange? They look like double hex or something? Don't think I have that bit. Do Halfords sell them, and what size is it?

Cheers.

Here's a trick if you don't want to take the whole shaft off:

Loosely bolt the CV joint back in to the hub, and bolt the hub back on to the bottom balljoint. Mark the position of the strut to the hub (so you can put it back in the same place and not mess up your camber), and remove the two bolts holding the strut to the hub. You can then use the upright bit on the hub as a lever to pop the CV off the shaft. A good heave towards you should do the trick, or you can tap the back of the hub with your aluminium hammer.

The circlip is a C shaped thing that sits in a groove in the end of the shaft but it's profile is round, not square, so the CV can slide over it with the right persuasion.

Good luck :)