Sign in to follow this  
23rdman

what's wrong with my VR6??

Hi folks.

Looking for a bit of advice here before I bite the bullet and take my sick VR6 to the garage! I am mechanically illiterate but would like to at least have an idea what the issue is before I risk opening the wallet.

Symptoms as follows -

took my 94 VR6 out for an enthusiastic run the other night. All was well and then it started refusing to accelerate, pressing the accelerator just led to a droning noise from under the bonnet. Complete loss of power. Occasionally it would pick up again but more often than not it would just grind to a halt and cut out. Would start again fine, we'd get going again and then the process would be repeated. Sometimes it would be like the engine was wanting to break free from its mountings. Eventually made it home with a few dodgy moments!

I suspect that it must be some sort of fuelling problem? The car idles fine, if a little lumpily, which I suspect may be as a result of the next issue:

I had a shufty under the bonnet and I note that the tube (for want of a better description) to the left of what must be the cylinder head has worked itself free. I might be wrong, but I think this is air related? I suspect that this may be a side effect of the vibration etc caused when the engine was shaking itself rather than the main cause of the issue. Anyway, I can't get the 'tube' reattached properly.

And, the final problem in this sorry tale is that everytime I engage reverse and try to go backwards the engine cuts out. Complete refusal to reverse.

All was reasonably well before all this happened although I do fear that I'm not a million miles away from requiring a new clutch.

Any suggestions/advice would be very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.

could be loads of things - no air, or an air leak, fuel filter blocked, fuel pump on its way out, loose connectors, loose throttle cable etc. where are you based? I'm sure someone local wouldnt mind popping over to have a look. If you're near to NW London drop me a pm.

i have recently had the same problems you describe minus the reversing bit...

(my post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84090 )

randomly when i accelerated the engine would splutter and cut out, then maybe suddenly cut back in, the die, so i'd pull over and turn off and on the ignition again and it would start fine.

i noticed that i had a fraid / split hose...

1.JPG

so cut it down a bit and put it back on. (ive now cable-tied it on from someones recomendation)

ive not had a probs since, (touch wood)

but i have brought a fuel filter to put on which ive not done yet to see if that solves the problem.

Neil

No harm in replacing any vacuum hose that may be leaking!

especially not if it's the one governing your fuel pressure reg like the one in the picture above!

the car would run rough if that wasn't connected - it manages fuel pressure!

It sounds like the air intake has worked loose? if this has happened, too much air will be entering the engine and the ECU will be getting very confused and probably feeling a bit Ill!

Whatever the hose is, it needs to be reconnected!!