Sign in to follow this  
rado94

2.0l 16v idle problem

ive just bought a 1994 mreg valver which has a strange idle prob. its hard to start on cold mornings and once it fires up the revs either sit really low or stay on 1500-2000revs for about a minute or so.first thought cold start valve but looking at the history thats already been changed.it even does it sumtimes when the cars hot aswell! also the revs take a long time to drop when you change gear guess this is why im only getting about 23mpg out of it and as ive owned one b4 i know there good for about 30-35mpg.im sure its nothing serious as the cars only done 58k. maybe its the isv? any advise would be great.

cheers.

I got a simalar probolem with mine,,went to DG Autoteck thursday for it and couldnt realy find anything wrong with it

Sorry not much help but if you find anything that causes yours let me know :D

im also having these problems, got it down to a few little thinks.

1- thermo-time switch (rightside of head under dizzy)

2- earth-strap from coil to block

3-lambda probe

4-earth from starter

all these affetc the way it starts and idles, gonna try and sort mine out tommorrow, will let u know how i get on :)

im also having these problems, got it down to a few little thinks.

1- thermo-time switch (rightside of head under dizzy)

2- earth-strap from coil to block

3-lambda probe

4-earth from starter

all these affetc the way it starts and idles, gonna try and sort mine out tommorrow, will let u know how i get on :)

Nice one :D

Dont think it was the Lambda as Graham had a mess around with mine and it was working fine :shrug:

thanks for the posts guys. likewise will let u know how i get on to. think its gona have to just stay like it for the moment tho,got to try and sell my mk2 golf fisrt b4 i start ploughing money into the corrado if i could keep both i would but as this country hates the motorist at the minute i just cant afford both of em! :(

Just as a test mate, try disconnecting the cold start valve before you start the car one morning and see how it behaves.... (just unclip the blue plug on it)

will give it a try 2moro morning and c what it does. if it starts up ok shold i drive with it off aswell? soz not the best of mechanics but i get by

Can runs fine without the 5th injector connected - it's only used for cold starting and to inject a little fuel at the top end of the rev range apparently.. if you just have a pootle to work, you won't need to worry.

Just as a test mate, try disconnecting the cold start valve before you start the car one morning and see how it behaves.... (just unclip the blue plug on it)

is the blue klip the one to the far right of the lower part of the inlet manifold? where the 5th fuel line goes too. :confused4:

As I will give it a go in the morning, at 5.30 I think the engine will be cold enough :lol:

:D

just a quick let ya know type thing,

i have cured my idle problem, by cleaning the earth strapping on the dizzy and the main engine/gearbox earth strap, starts a treat and run beautifully

good luck!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84789

have a look at the pic, where the number 1 is, if u follow it down towards the rad, you see in the pic the blue clip......happy days........

im going to clean my throttle body out today any1 want a DIY guide "how to?"

took the 5th injector cable off this morning started spot on and drove fine mpg went up so was all good. then this afternoon started up funny and drove rubbish.weird! but i guess it must be the problem. maybe i should change the injector or could it be the blue connector?

check the wires on the connector, to be honest not sure if its going to be that one thing, its more likely to be 3 or more things,

check the 2 pin temp switch under the dizzy making sure its connected properly, clean the earth strap on the dizzy housing and the block earth. Also try a different ISV.

Does it run ok whenit warms up?

Just had another thought,

have u checked the micro-switches on the throttle body as these stick and if the idle switch is sticking or the full throttle is sticking will cause endless problems :roll:

car idles fine when warm but it always over revs when you change gear(takes along time for the idle to drop) so its mpg is crap at the minute. thanks for the help im off work thurs and fri so will have a proper look then. does anyone know if they do a haynes manuals for the corrados?

unfortunately haynes dont do a specific manual for the corrado, but the vw passat manual does as it has the same engine. To be honest u dnt need a manual as they are a basic mechanical system, theres a document on the k-jetronic system and how to fix and understand it, i will look now for it :D

car idles fine when warm but it always over revs when you change gear(takes along time for the idle to drop) so its mpg is crap at the minute. thanks for the help im off work thurs and fri so will have a proper look then. does anyone know if they do a haynes manuals for the corrados?

Mine did exactly the same until today.

Was not going below 2500rpm at times and really annoying when changing gear.

Took the throttle body off and gave it a good clean and now runs great. :clap:

Mine did exactly the same until today.

Was not going below 2500rpm at times and really annoying when changing gear.

Took the throttle body off and gave it a good clean and now runs great. :clap:

did you use my guide by any chance?>

bob

Yep, worked a treat :notworthy:

Really easy to do and what a difference !!! For the sake of 1hour of your time it's well worth it.

Just need to sort the flickering handbrake light and that will be the most annoying niggles out of the way :clap:

Yep, worked a treat :notworthy:

Really easy to do and what a difference !!! For the sake of 1hour of your time it's well worth it.

Just need to sort the flickering handbrake light and that will be the most annoying niggles out of the way :clap:

thanks for the feedback.......it accelerates much better and smoother now right?

check your brake fluid levels ....maybe sure its not falling short of the senor...and check the plug too...the pins in the plug sometimes push back.