Sign in to follow this  
krnau

rolling front arches.. what to do with inner arch plastic?

when rolling front arches.. what should be done with the inner plastic cover/protection ?? if the arches are rolled, the holes into which inner plastic is screwed too get displaced outside... how can this be avoided?

There is another name for it but it escapes me, it's a weather proofer comes in black or clear like a wax that vw put on the inside of your panels

Waxoyl is the stuff, I put a blob on exposed nuts and bolt heads, clean it off with solvent years later and you'll be presented with a nice shiny bolt. :D you can get it in an aerosol too, very useful stuff.

I wouldnt discard the liner, just re bond it in place with a decent quality sealant, or bond on some small L brackets to the inside of the arch, either way it can still be removed easily if ever needed to and it wont retain any more moisture or debris than the way it was fitted as standard

i would agree with that one. If anything, stick some Damplifier on the inner side and screw it back into the arch with some selant around the edge.

The Shultz stoneguard is a hell of a lot better than Waxoyl. Good stuff, but I'd try to retain the archliners, stones being fired at the inner arches from the wheels will soon encourage corrosion.

i found little point in retaining the liners due to the areas i needed out the way.

yea sure anything is possible to retain them but too much of a ball ache, and i didnt want to piss about with flappy bit sof plastic or fabricating mounting points. i just wanted something that wasnt going to rub . ever.

would like to see what other people have done in this instance as if it is viable i might even have a go myself!

Yeah binning it is a sure way for the rust to set in, your best bet is to cut back the arches an inch or two and then push a lip seal over the exposed edge (Baines) that meets the wing further up the arch. Make sure the seal then butts up against the wing just above the arch where it's been rolled. You can help manipulate the plastic with a pair of pliers and a heat gun. You don't need to go all the way round the outside of the arch, just the bit that would rub, maybe keeping some of the perimiter fixings.

Choose a seal form here....

http://catalogues.kellysearch.com/catal ... &pg=2&cn=1

The bottom of the wings will soon rot out due to stone damage and detritus building up, plus the side repeater will also be very exposed with no arch liner.

ah good stuff guys... my arches were dollyed back on the front so they are flush (if you get what i mean) i have no side repeaters in the wings so not really a problem for moi

i thought the liners would rub on 'lock' to 'lock' though?

omg I don't want more rust in my car :lol: I like the L metal piece extensions idea :notworthy: